• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the differnce between joint legal & joint physical custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoriMcD

What is the name of your state?AZ
My ex & I still can't agree on custody. Our son lives with me & my ex sees him 2-3 times during the week & takes him for the weekend. I was thinking about joint legal custody. However, my ex doesn't help out with taking care of our son except when he has him. My parents help pay for diapers, clothes & other baby stuff. I'm going back to school (finally) at the end of themonth so I can't have a job & go to school at the same time or I won't have any time for our son.
What should I do? :confused:

Whyte Noise

Physical custody = Who the child lives with and when. (can be joint or sole, although most courts lean towards a joint custody arrangement than sole now days.)

Legal custody = Who has the right to make decisions concerning the child (like medical, educational, religious, etc.). (Can also be joint or sole and again most courts lean towards joint as BOTH parents should share in the decision-making responsibilities of their children.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">