• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when do child support payments stop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sissis

What is the name of your state? VA.
It was my understanding that child support payments stopped when a child reached the age of 18. If the child goes on to college, does child support continue for the duration of college attendance?

kat1963

In VA, you have to file for termination of support, or you'll keep paying until Medicaid takes over when the now elderly child is in a nursing home. Support is until 18 or 19 if still in high school (full time). If you know the child will be 18 soon and will graduate or already has, you should file a few months before the birthday or graduation...or before age 19, which ever comes first. There are no state laws governing continued support thru secondary education.
KAT

S

StarShineMoon

My State is ILLinois: I have been reading some disturbing things about having to continue to have to pay for support when the kid goes to college. My fiances daughter, whos mom has kept her from seeing her dad and played many legal ugly games with him to hurt and make him suffer, she just told my son last night that she plans on going to college and make her dad continue to pay child support. This girl doesnt get good grades in school either so I imagine she will go to college so she doesnt have to work and take bs courses, and he might have to pay 4 more yrs of support, and we were hoping that all this would be over in January. I've read that as long as the child lives at home, support will continue, and thats exactly what their plan is. The ex makes 3 times what the dad makes, we have to sit at home and he has to live at his moms because he cant afford anything and doesnt want to move in til he can share the bills, now we might have to pay 4 more yrs to an ungrateful hateful daughter and evil ex wife with their hands out all the time. I could write a book on all the evil rotten hateful things they have done to him over the last 5 yrs, we just want it to end!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">