• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does child support end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

briandreea

What is the name of your state? TX
My daughter turned 18 this month. She is a senior in high school. Her father states he no longer has to pay child support because she is 18. Is this true? She does not graduate from high school until May. Thank you.

L

lcollins

In a majority of cases it will state in the decree that support is to be paid until child reaches 18 unless still in school. Then it will continue. He cannot just stop paying the support, he has to petition the courts to have it stopped, or Support Enforcement could still try to make him pay.

B

Buck Buchanan

Same Question Different Side!

I'm the one paying child Support. I have 2 kids, 1 Now in the Navy, The other graduates early in December. She lives in Illinois with her Ex-step father, Her mother Lives in Indiana. Daughter is 18 has a full time job and pays the majority of her bills by herself. Does anyone know if I can legally stop paying child support in January?

Whyte Noise

Buck, that depends on which state your CS order was granted in. In Illinois, CS doesn't stop until 18. In Indiana, it doesn't stop until 21. And in Florida (where you are) it stops at 18, unless the child is in school. So in order to know which state applies, we'd have to know which state the order was issued in.

And for our poster, Texas CS guidelines say that support ends at 18 UNLESS the child is still in high school, in which case it doesn't end until the child graduates. (actual wording is.... "Termination of support at 18 or graduation from high school, whichever is later")

B

Buck Buchanan

The Divorce was granted in Louisiana. I am retired Military. The divorce paperwork doesn't say how long the payments are to last, but the Louisiana state laws saw until the age of majority I believe!

Whyte Noise

Louisiana: Termination of support at 18 or emancipation; if child is still in high school, until 19 or graduation, whichever is first. If she's already 18, and graduates in December, then you can file to end CS once she graduates.

B

Buck Buchanan

That's what I Thought and how I read the State laws! Now the question is: She is officially done with school on 20 December. But she has deliberately stayed until then so that she could walk down the isle and pick up her Diploma, (She worked hard for it and has earned that right, Long story)But the ceremony isn't until June. Does she Legally Graduate in December or June when she picks up her Diploma?

CMSC

hang on there Buck, you said your daughter lives with her EX step father? Are you paying support to her mom and she isn't living with her mom? If so then you need to get child support stopped...maybe I am tired and read it wrong, if so I apologize!

p.s. if I read it wrong it is MG's fault! she sent me to that site and all I can see is fun stuff to buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

B

Buck Buchanan

You read it right! My daughter lives in Illinois with her mothers second ex husband, she wanted to stay there to graduate. My ex wife lives in Indiana.

CMSC

Then you need to file to have your daughter emancipated. How can you gurantee she is getting the support you paid? If you still want to support her that is great! But I would suggest filing to have it terminated and then sending her some money when you can.

jeanine

Father pays child support - never missed a day. Wants to take the responsibility because he is a MAN. Sees son every other weekend - pays money to entertain child who is always "bored" no matter what is planned. Gets two weeks summer vacation - spends even more money while ex still gets money for those two weeks - even though child isn't with her. Gets taken into court every three years by greedy ex (who works off the books) for more money. Pays for attorney - case gets adjourned once, twice, three times. Pays more attorney fees. Ex halts his visitation. Gets new attorney - more money is spent. Need I really go on?

ellencee

There are only two months left until this child completes high school. I believe Buck can provide the court with a copy of the transcript showing that his daughter has completed the 12th grade and request that his obligation be considered fulfilled. He can probably do this by mail, too.

just a note: His circumstances do not necessarily meet quidelines to modify or stop child support payments; perhaps he could have modified to whom he paid support, but more likely than not, he would have continued under an order to pay support for this child.
I applaud him for supporting his children and not running to court every available chance. (I'm assuming he didn't!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">