• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does child support start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DStack

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My daughter is 18 years old and 8 weeks pregnanet. Can we get the father of this baby for some kind of support now? Or do we have to wait to the child is born? I am talking about maternity clothes, baby clothes, diapers, wipes, crib, bottles, etc. Someone told me that different states acknowledge a baby while mom is preg., and some acknowledge when the baby takes first breath. :(

C

CRYROSE1

I have only heard of support after child is born. Just take it to court after baby is born, get custody,support, and visitation( if father wants) all in writting via court documents. Save for lots of trouble later.

CMSC

Your daughter can go file for support right now and then they will decide whether they should do an order now or later. If they do one after the baby is born he may have to pay back support for the medical expenses.

Is your daughter on state aide?

CMSC

Okay then she has nothing to worry about. If she were on state aide the state would collect child support to reimburse for the aide they gave her.

Colorado is a slow state! Make sure you stay on them! I had started support proceedings and they were horrid! I had to go to three classes on how to fill out the paperwork (very nosey paperwork!), meet with the DA's office, fax a bunch of letters to the state my ex lived in and then about 7 months later I found out that I couldn't get a support hearing yet because they sent the other state copies instead of original paperwork. Colorado lost the originals and wanted me to start all over!:mad: I ended up moving to my ex's state and it took me a very short time to get my hearing and no classes, tons of paperwork etc.

CMSC

HomeGuru said:
My opinion is that child support commences from the time of conception.

Yes but remember you are just a construction attorney who couldn't possible know anything else but nails and screws right??:p

Whyte Noise

ryry's mom said:
Yes but remember you are just a construction attorney who couldn't possible know anything else but nails and screws right??:p
Nailing and screwing.... sounds like Family Law to me! :p :D *waves* Hey ryry's!!

CMSC

*waves back*! I actually didn't mean it like that MG, but it sure fits!!:D
I have a email sitting in my draft box for you, I just never think to finish it!!!LOL

HomeGuru

ryry's mom said:

**A: oh, yeah I forgot. What was I thinking?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">