• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When to file the paperwork for opposing a guardianship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrscatron15

I live in the state of Washington, currently my mother ran to the courts in California to file for guardianship over my son after I sent a letter revoking it. The court date is set for the 15th of Oct. and I was wondering when do I file the paperwork for Oppose of guardianship? She has been refusing to let me talk to my son, and been blocking every form of communication that I can have with him.

Question: I was wondering when do I file the paperwork for Oppose of guardianship?

adjusterjack

I live in the state of Washington, currently my mother ran to the courts in California to file for guardianship over my son after I sent a letter revoking it. The court date is set for the 15th of Oct. and I was wondering when do I file the paperwork for Oppose of guardianship? She has been refusing to let me talk to my son, and been blocking every form of communication that I can have with him.

Question: I was wondering when do I file the paperwork for Oppose of guardianship?
NOW!

Or at lease 30 days before the hearing just to make sure it gets matched up to the file before the hearing.

That's not necessarily a legal requirement but it sure is a common sense requirement.

single317dad

To clarify: You live in Washington, your mother lives in California with your son and has a probate guardianship of the person through a California court for your son. You recently sent a letter to someone (your mother; the court?) in an attempt to end that guardianship and presumably take custody of your son. Your mother has now filed a new guardianship case in California. Is that correct?

latigo

You are an absent parent (by choice as far as is known) having a son living with your mother in California who has petitioned for her appointment as his guardian over the person of her grandson.

A position that would entitle her to make responsible decisions on behalf of the child, such a where is to live, where and how he is educated, his social contacts, provide food and shelter; enabling her to contract for his necessities, his medical and dental needs and other health concerns; etc., etc., obligated to annually report her guardianship functions to the appropriate California monitoring services.

And you seemingly comfortable with the living arrangement now WANT TO RESIST HER APPOINTMENT?!

Would you care to explain why? Would you prefer that he become a ward of the state? Live on the streets? Reside with foster parents?

I'll tell you why. It is to avoid the likelihood of the state of California holding you financially responsible.

And I'll tell you something else. Unless there is a drastic change from the current circumstances, this guardianship is going down whether you like it or not. California is not going to allow this vacuum to continue to exist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">