• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can claim dependent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilovenat

My ex and I recently signed a custody agreement order in the state of Alabama. Part of this order states that my ex may claim our daughter as a dependent every other year, but he does not meet the financial support requirements, and she does not live with him for even half of a year.
Does the custody agreement supercede qualifying dependent guidelines or will I still be able to claim her every year?

haiku

The IRS rules apply if nothing is outlined in your custody agreement. The NCP is often awarded the right to claim the child by the courts.

if you do not follow your custody agreement, your ex can take you back to court for contempt, and you will have to pay him any money he lost due to you denying him his right to claim, plus any other fees the judge deems appropriate...

Last edited:

LdiJ

The IRS rules apply if nothing is outlined in your custody agreement. The NCP is often awarded the right to claim the child by the courts.

if you do not follow your custody agreement, your ex can take you back to court for contempt, and you will have to pay him any money he lost due to you denying him his right to claim, plus any other fees the judge deems appropriate...
I agree, unless there are conditions outlined in your orders that he is not meeting. For example, if your orders state that he must be current with his child support in order to claim the children, and he is not, then you would not be in contempt if you claimed them.

Also, you can claim the children as your qualifying children for head of household and EIC purposes, even if he gets to claim the exemption for the kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">