• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who get custody when one parent dies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pdh_01

i am in the state of georgia, i want to know if a child's mother dies does the father automatically get custody or does the maternal grandparent get custody?

P

pdh_01

is this also the case if the the parents were not married?

haiku

yes, marriage has nothing to do with a parents rights to thier child.

The question is, because they are not married, did the father accept and sign a certificate of paternity, and, or, is he accepted in the courts eyes as the father? if so, he has as much rights to child as the mother does (did).

P

pdh_01

he signed the birth certificate, child has his name, and he paid mother child support through the child support office. are these things that qualify? if so, what would father need to do to get child from maternal grandmother since she says that he will not get the child.

haiku

Legally it sounds like he would have every right to walk in and get his child. If it were me I would call the court house, and police station, bring my papers and get my kids.

I am not a law professional, I am just someone who has had some experience with grandparental rights issues in my state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">