• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife filed for custody and left state with child while I'm out of town

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadneedingchild

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina, Durham county

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance. I went out of town 3 days ago on business. Today I find out that my wife has filed for custody of our child, lawyer fees, and had a moving company or a relative come and pack everything needed for our 20m old and half the stuff in our apartment and take off to Mississippi. She has a lawyer and has apparently been planning this for some time.

I'm not returning to town until tomorrow evening and will be tuesday before I can do anything.

We've been in NC for over a year now. Wife currently doesn't work, but said she was looking for a job and putting daughter in daycare. Deposit and 1st week of daycare already paid just waiting on job. All of her family is back in MS.

What do I do? How do I get my daughter back, do I just drive down and get her? Need some guidance pretty fast.

Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Petition IMMEDIATELY to have your daughter returned to you in North Carolina. And ask for a restraining order -- IF it has not been already issued -- prohibiting either parent from removing the child from the court's jurisdiction except for vacations. She filed in NC? If there is already a restraining order, file a Motion to show cause and a motion for custody due to her removing the child.

dadneedingchild

Yes, she did file in NC. Is this something that I can just go to the courthouse to do or do I need an attorney immedietly for this. Obviously I'm going to need an attorney, but I hate to either A spend a week finding an good attorney when its simple process I could have done myself or b grab the first guy I can find and have it bot be a decent attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, she did file in NC. Is this something that I can just go to the courthouse to do or do I need an attorney immedietly for this. Obviously I'm going to need an attorney, but I hate to either A spend a week finding an good attorney when its simple process I could have done myself or b grab the first guy I can find and have it bot be a decent attorney.
You can do it pro se. Some courthouses have forms; others do not. Look online to see if your county courthouse has the forms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">