• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife wont let me see my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L&M

Heres the deal. I have been seperated from my wife since October we share a 4 year old daughter...My best friend and I ended up hooking up and she is due with my baby in August. Since October my ex hasnt allowed me to see my daughter unless it is at her house because she hates my Girlfriend. I held off on filing for divorce/custody rights because I had just been laid off and wanted stability with my job before going to court.

Last Tuesday I filed for divorce they told me at this point I have the SAME rights over my child as she does. We dont go to court till middle of June. She still wont let me take her. I dont want to just go and grab her from my EX because I fear this will hurt my daughter and my EX says she'll call the cops if I did. First I dont think the cops would get involved. I need advice on how I should proceed I miss my child and seeing her 1 or 2 times a week isnt cutting it. She tells me she misses me every day!!

I live in NH

First of all, couldn't you at least hold off on having a girlfriend until the divorce was final? Did you get a legal separation? If so, who was awarded temporary custody? If nothing was ordered, then you still have joint custody from what I understand.

Phnx02

L&M said:
Heres the deal. I have been seperated from my wife since October we share a 4 year old daughter...My best friend and I ended up hooking up and she is due with my baby in August. Since October my ex hasnt allowed me to see my daughter unless it is at her house because she hates my Girlfriend. I held off on filing for divorce/custody rights because I had just been laid off and wanted stability with my job before going to court.

Last Tuesday I filed for divorce they told me at this point I have the SAME rights over my child as she does. We dont go to court till middle of June. She still wont let me take her. I dont want to just go and grab her from my EX because I fear this will hurt my daughter and my EX says she'll call the cops if I did. First I dont think the cops would get involved. I need advice on how I should proceed I miss my child and seeing her 1 or 2 times a week isnt cutting it. She tells me she misses me every day!!

I live in NH
Your ex is pissed and jealous you "hooked up" & became pregnant with someone.....a mutual friend no less.....so quickly after your seperation. Since your daughter was born within the marriage to your ex, you automatically have joint custody.....or the same rights as she does to the child at this point. However, you're right.....since the ex is apparently holding the child against you as a grudge, it's probably best you let things be until the hearing in June. It's not worth putting your daughter in the middle of a fight with the police involved. You should be granted a regular visitation schedule in June.

LdiJ

L&M said:

I live in NH

Wait until June. You will get a regular visitation schedule then. Don't attempt a "snatch" because that will just backfire on you.....the end result of something like that could even be a domestic violence charge....because things like that often get out of hand.

Remember, you both have equal rights to the child...that means she has the right to keep the child too....and the child doesn't need to be traumatized.

You also need to accept your own responsibility for this mess....you got your "best friend" pregnant really darned quick after your "separation" if she is due in August. That doesn't change your rights as a father....but you would be just as unhappy if your wife had left you, immediately hooked up with her best friend and immediately got pregnant. So please keep that in mind and you may be able to resolve things more amicably.

L&M

BelizeBreeze said:
Here's the deal. You don't put down the state where you are you don't get a legally valid answer.
Actually heres the deal....I did put it down :mad: at the bottom did you not read my post. For those that did thanks for the input

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">