• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will he get custody if im still breastfeeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice911

What is the name of your state? florida

i have an infant under 6 months, never married, still breastfeeding. i allow father to see baby whenever but refuse to go over his house or his families house. if he takes me to court 4 joint custody will it be granted? how much custody is he entitled 2 if any and how soon will he have custody since i am still breastfeeding. i hate the thought of my baby sleeping over his house, away from me!! :(

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sure, he can get visitation/custody. Possibly even overnights. Here's a newsflash for you - he is ALSO the child's parent and you don't have exclusive rights to the babe.

If you do you go to court get a custody evaluator to help you and the father determine what type of parenting plan works well you you both. I had one in my own case and it helped a lot. I wanted overnights with my son at the age of one. The mom however felt that, that was too soon. She felt by the age of 2 our son would ready for overnights. She too said that she was breastfeeding and that weening our son would be too hard to do and that ot would take time. The custody evalutator said that she recommends overnights for unmarried couples (which we were) to start overnights at 18 months. In October I will have my first overnight and I must say that I am quite excited! Best wishes!

needadvice911

that really sucks - my baby overnighting!! when i was pregnant he didnt even want the baby & asked me to abort-when i said no he was angry and decided to ignore the whole situation. now he wont give us $, and im supposed to get ready to give up my baby for nights?? im still bonding with my child, how soon do u think he'll get overnight rights, and even worse will he get weekends???:(

ceara19

needadvice911 said:
that really sucks - my baby overnighting!! when i was pregnant he didnt even want the baby & asked me to abort-when i said no he was angry and decided to ignore the whole situation. now he wont give us $, and im supposed to get ready to give up my baby for nights?? im still bonding with my child, how soon do u think he'll get overnight rights, and even worse will he get weekends???:(
Gee Kelly, why don't you at least come up with an ORIGINAL story to try an entice an argument with other members instead of just posting the same BS questions that are asked and answered 50 times a DAY?

On the VERY off chance that you are not Kelly, if the above post is how you really think things work, you are no where near being ready to raise a child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
needadvice911 said:
#1 - until there's a court order, he's not obligated to help you at all, financially or otherwise.

#2 - how soon will he get overnights? How soon did you?

#3 - of course he can get weekends. Most fathers who don't live with their children do. You get weekends, right?

Now, having said all that... it could take several months for the process to wind it's way through the courts, and until then you don't have to let him take the child at all. But breastfeeding is not an excuse - it's entirely possible to pump and bottle feed the breastmilk, and many children survive being supplemented with formula come to that. In addition, it won't be long until the child is on solids and have little reliance on bottle OR breast. So you need to get used to the idea that your child will soon be spending extended time with his/her other parent. You can make it harder for your little one, or you can make it easier. Which will it be?

N

NoDiggety

needadvice911 said:
that really sucks - my baby overnighting!! when i was pregnant he didnt even want the baby & asked me to abort-when i said no he was angry and decided to ignore the whole situation.
Hmm...hypocritical don't ya think. You are pissed because he wanted you aborted...err, I mean the baby aborted, but yet if/when he gets overnights, you have a problem with that. Ever hear of formula, dipsh*t?

now he wont give us $, and im supposed to get ready to give up my baby for nights??
Oh, is there an order for support? "no" you say??!... :rolleyes:

im still bonding with my child, how soon do u think he'll get overnight rights, and even worse will he get weekends???:(
When the courts say so.

casa

needadvice911 said:
What is the name of your state? florida

i have an infant under 6 months, never married, still breastfeeding. i allow father to see baby whenever but refuse to go over his house or his families house. if he takes me to court 4 joint custody will it be granted? how much custody is he entitled 2 if any and how soon will he have custody since i am still breastfeeding. i hate the thought of my baby sleeping over his house, away from me!! :(
I suggest doing a Google search for "Infant Parenting Plans" for the state of FL...&/or perusing www.deltabravo.net for information re; Infant Parenting/Visitation.

If you have a personal preference re; breastmilk, you can certainly pump ahead of time and then send breastmilk with the child to Dad's. La Leche League in your area can help you with this if you have difficulty.

Until there is a court order~ You are not obligated to do anything, and neither is the Dad. But remember that bonding with both parents is best for baby. If you delay or try to refuse to do that, then when the court does issue it's custody/visitation ruling, it will be harder for baby. What's best for baby is getting to bond with both parents as soon as possible.

Many fathers who are surprised or not ready to be a Dad ask Mom to abort~ It's a kneejerk reaction and doesn't mean he won't be a terrific Dad. So try to let go of your own personal hurt and focus on trying to co-parent for baby's sake.

smbelle

My ex asked me to abort my daughter as well so I understand your position as well as your worries. Ever since she was born he has been a jerk to her. He even went as far as throwing her on the bed because she was crying (6 weeks old). So yes some men are terrific fathers once they see their child but my ex has been the opposite and yet he threatens to take her. I am a mother and I don't like the way you are being talked to by some people on this forum. Not fair to judge when someone is not in the person's shoes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
smbelle said:
My ex asked me to abort my daughter as well so I understand your position as well as your worries. Ever since she was born he has been a jerk to her. He even went as far as throwing her on the bed because she was crying (6 weeks old). So yes some men are terrific fathers once they see their child but my ex has been the opposite and yet he threatens to take her. I am a mother and I don't like the way you are being talked to by some people on this forum. Not fair to judge when someone is not in the person's shoes.
First of all no one is being rude to her -- even though they didn't act as cheerleaders which is not our jobs -- she was told the proper legal advice and how the courts view things. Courts are not going to offer her sympathy and pat her on the back.
Second of all she has all the markers of being the popular troll around here -- making up stories to ask questions and then posting answers to others to name just one trait. We have no tolerance for trolls -- and especially this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">