• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Virginia allow a step-parent to be a legal guardian?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

I have a lawyer and deferred all questions to her.

I do know a thing ...or two. Having been through TWO very difficult custody cases.

Okay. Are these cases relevant to the OP?

How much do you know? It seems as if there have been tons of Assumptions made.

Um...YOU made some assumptions there. Major assumptions. And you know what that means, right?

The bottom line (for me) is that not all step moms are monsters. Not all of them want to 'take over'. Some of us actually love the kids.

I'm sorry, but where did ANYONE say that stepmoms are monsters?

(hint: Nobody)

sometwo

I have a lawyer and deferred all questions to her.

I do know a thing ...or two. Having been through TWO very difficult custody cases.

How much do you know? It seems as if there have been tons of Assumptions made.

The bottom line (for me) is that not all step moms are monsters. Not all of them want to 'take over'. Some of us actually love the kids.
It doesn't matter if they love the kids are not. :rolleyes:

The answers are still legally relevant. Love or not doesn't play a role.

milspecgirl

Apparently it is not a matter of mom or dad parenting the children. Mom seems like she honestly does not think that with her is the best place for the children at this time (if there is no underlying story). So, since dad is away and mom agrees that SM is the best person to keep the kids at this time, mom should give SM a POA also.
I really don't see that legal guardianship is necessary. POA's from both parents should be adequate for everything. If anyone has a problem, have them call mom. As far as registering for school- mom only has to sign the papers. Fill them out and then either take them to mom or ask mom to stop by the school and sign them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">