• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Willful abandonment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ldbrannan

I live in California. My husband gained full custody of his son over a year ago. The mother is only allowed to see her son under professional supervised visitation. She has not seen or spoken to her son since the court date over a year ago. Nor has she sent money for child support. She has willfully abandoned him. And now we have discovered that she has moved out of state. My question is this, is it a felony or misdemeanor to willfullly abandond a child to the custodial parent and leave the state?

Antigone*

I live in California. My husband gained full custody of his son over a year ago. The mother is only allowed to see her son under professional supervised visitation. She has not seen or spoken to her son since the court date over a year ago. Nor has she sent money for child support. She has willfully abandoned him. And now we have discovered that she has moved out of state. My question is this, is it a felony or misdemeanor to willfullly abandond a child to the custodial parent and leave the state?
She can go where she wants and she does not have to answer to you nor to dad.

ldbrannan

I'm pretty clear about the fact that she doesn't have to answer to myself or my husband. But there's a little boy here that hasn't seen or spoken to her in over a year. The law doesn't hold dead-beat parents accountable in situations such as this?

Proserpina

I'm pretty clear about the fact that she doesn't have to answer to myself or my husband. But there's a little boy here that hasn't seen or spoken to her in over a year. The law doesn't hold dead-beat parents accountable in situations such as this?

She is under no obligation to see her child.

She does have to support her child if ordered though; if Dad wishes he can file contempt for non-payment.

This is not abandonment; she left the child with the other parent.

Silverplum

Clearly it does not.

Or, at least, it does not in the way you would like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">