• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wish to obtain custody of child.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigcountrync26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina, Child resides in North Carolina.

Hello,

I am in my late 20s and have married again with two step children. I have a son in NC that is eight years of age, I haven't had much interaction with him since he was three years old. I realize I've been bad in the past as a parent. But I feel terrible, I've been wanting to do something for two years now and haven't had no luck.. mainly the cost of things. But now the mother of my child wants me to sign my rights over to give her father custody while she gets her act together. She has three pending and two pending misdemeanor charges related to drugs. They threaten me with them having all the money they will need to win the fight this and that.. I just wonder if I stand any chance at all? Please.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina, Child resides in North Carolina.

Hello,

I am in my late 20s and have married again with two step children. I have a son in NC that is eight years of age, I haven't had much interaction with him since he was three years old. I realize I've been bad in the past as a parent. But I feel terrible, I've been wanting to do something for two years now and haven't had no luck.. mainly the cost of things. But now the mother of my child wants me to sign my rights over to give her father custody while she gets her act together. She has three pending and two pending misdemeanor charges related to drugs. They threaten me with them having all the money they will need to win the fight this and that.. I just wonder if I stand any chance at all? Please.
How is it in the child's best interest to be placed with a virtual stranger in a different state?

Why not just sent the child to me? I have an extra room and do not live in NC and have never met the child. Same difference.

mommyanme

Giving her Father custody does not require you to sign your rights over. Unless the child is being adopted, this state won't allow you to sign your rights over either. You're being snowballed
BUT, I suggest you file visitation with a reintroduction period if you really want to do things right by him now.
Don't jerk the rug out from under this kid and try to take him away from the only people he's known, to live with you, you're a stranger and considering what little you've put, I'm guessing this kid's had it rough for long enough.

LdiJ

Giving her Father custody does not require you to sign your rights over. Unless the child is being adopted, this state won't allow you to sign your rights over either. You're being snowballed
BUT, I suggest you file visitation with a reintroduction period if you really want to do things right by him now.
Don't jerk the rug out from under this kid and try to take him away from the only people he's known, to live with you, you're a stranger and considering what little you've put, I'm guessing this kid's had it rough for long enough.
The whole "sign my rights over" could be the OP's terminology. Its possible that they are simply asking him to sign off on grandpa having custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">