• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

distraughtgran

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have custody of my 2 grandaughters. Dad is incarcerated and mom is in and out of their lives. She was living close to us and has been waiting to go to a community control facility. She decided to leave once again,,,,stole and wrote checks from my checkbook. My question is,,,,how do I guarantee that IF something happens to me that neither of them regain custody of the children. I have had physical custody for the past 5yrs.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have custody of my 2 grandaughters. Dad is incarcerated and mom is in and out of their lives. She was living close to us and has been waiting to go to a community control facility. She decided to leave once again,,,,stole and wrote checks from my checkbook. My question is,,,,how do I guarantee that IF something happens to me that neither of them regain custody of the children. I have had physical custody for the past 5yrs.
Was custody given to you by the courts? Do you have legal custody? Easy way of doing what you want is terminate mom and dad's rights and adopt. Will that be easy? no. But that is the best way to guarantee it.

Zephyr

terminate their parental rights.....an expensive and extreme undertaking, but one that would guarantee they would not get the children in the event of your death.....

actually your best bet for info would be to speak with an attorney in your area, it would depend a bit on what factors brought the children to your custody in the first place and a bunch of other stuff

Zephyr

Was custody given to you by the courts? Do you have legal custody? Easy way of doing what you want is terminate mom and dad's rights and adopt. Will that be easy? no. But that is the best way to guarantee it.
ooooh lookie there, I was typing the same thing as the GAL.....me thinks you're growing on me OG!:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">