• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would the state give my husband and I get custody of my cousin's daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CrickettC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Unfortunately I have second hand details and I do apologize but I really want to find out what may lie ahead of me. My cousin has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and the state has temporarily placed her daughter with my aunt (the daughters grandmother). I'm told that CPS has told my cousin that if she doesn't comply with attending parenting classes and a court order to take her meds that her daughter will be taken from her and placed in foster care. There are few family members willing and capable of taking a 3 year old child. The grandmother doesn't really want to have to take her, the adult sister of the child can't take her as she's a college student with a new baby, the grandfather can't take care of her due to his health, the father has signed all rights away...which in the end leaves myself who is willing and capable. My question is this...if the state removes her from the home could I step in and ask that she be placed with me rather than going into the foster system? I understand that there would be an investigation, background checks and possibly even having to register as a foster home which doesn't bother me in the least.

ogsbtater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Unfortunately I have second hand details and I do apologize but I really want to find out what may lie ahead of me. My cousin has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and the state has temporarily placed her daughter with my aunt (the daughters grandmother). I'm told that CPS has told my cousin that if she doesn't comply with attending parenting classes and a court order to take her meds that her daughter will be taken from her and placed in foster care. There are few family members willing and capable of taking a 3 year old child. The grandmother doesn't really want to have to take her, the adult sister of the child can't take her as she's a college student with a new baby, the grandfather can't take care of her due to his health, the father has signed all rights away...which in the end leaves myself who is willing and capable. My question is this...if the state removes her from the home could I step in and ask that she be placed with me rather than going into the foster system? I understand that there would be an investigation, background checks and possibly even having to register as a foster home which doesn't bother me in the least.
This is what we were told we would have to do but my nieces mother gave us temp custody before CPS started the process.
If the State already has custody then you will probably have to go through the foster care route. You can call the local CPS and inquire as to what you can do. HTH

CrickettC

I couldn't get the link to work. But Texas does not require a legal "father". I don't think the bio father is listed on the birth certificate either, I believe it is unknown which Texas allows. There never was a step or adoptive father, she has had one relationship since the childs birth. The biological father signed away any rights he may ever have to the child and wants nothing to do with her, even after paternity was proven he still denies her. My concern is that with my cousins disease she will not willingly let her go when the time comes. Some of her symptoms are believing that those of us who try to help her are actually trying to exploit her, hurt her, prostitute her (which was real interesting since my husband is a police officer), telling lies about her, trying to ruin her career (as a fast food cook) etc. So I'm afraid it isnt going to be easy. I don't mind going through the foster care process if need be....I do have contacts with CPS and am going to try there starting tomorrow. I just don't want to see this child go to the state at all, she's been through so much in 3 short years. We fell in love with her last year when they stayed with us a while (before diagnosis). I'd rather her be with us, family, in a caring loving home than who knows where with just any foster family.

wileybunch

Check with the state -- About the Texas Adoption Resource Exchange (TARE) -- to see if you need some/all of the foster parent process done to do a family foster situation. I could not find the answer on the website, but there is a phone number you can call. (to get the link to work, copy from the http through to the .asp part of the link and paste into your browser)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">