• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WV Age Child can choose which parent they to live with

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UniquePW

WV, :confused: What is the age a child can choose which parent they want to live with. My 11 year old step daughter has been used as a pawn by her mother for over 5 years now. Her mother is very revengful but I do not think any mother would do these things intentionally knowing she is hurting her child. But this mother hurts her daughter constantly by things she says and does. Her mother does not like the relationship her daughter and I have. She gets mad at my step daughter constantly and tells her to pack her S - - T and go to live with me and her daddy. My step daughter comes to our home every Wed Evening until thursday morn and Every other weekend, Friday evening- Monday morn. We expose her to a totally different life than she lives with her mother. We do not drink alcohol, no drugs, no cigs, we dont cuss her, dont slap her, and we do take her to church. So she has a totally different life style with us so she is different herself at our home. Her father or I have never physically disciplined her, never needed to. She is a great kid. Her mother has drug us through court case after court case, making up things to all extremes, just trying to keep us from having her daughter in our lives. We can only assume it is from jealousy. But we have spent the money for lawyers etc to fight the frivilous cases which we won them all. But we are so hurt at how she hurts her daughter so much. Can anyone help me? Im not sure where to begin or what the laws actually are in WV concerning this and the age a child can choose.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Children do not choose. Sometimes a judge will listen to what a child has to say and consider that when making a custody decision, but whether s/he does and how much weight it has is up to the judge.

UniquePW

WV My understanding, there is a specific age a child can be though when they can choose to live with one parent or the other and go before the judge to try to have their choice choosen by the judge as well. When I got divorced several years ago it was age 14. My sons could choose who they wanted to live with.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, children do not choose. GA is the only state that allows the child's choice to govern at 14 IF both parents are fit. In every other state, the child may express a wish, but it is not incumbent on the court to follow that desire. This is a HUGE misconception people have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">