• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Young Dad gave custody to grandparents, wants it back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandonkey82

What is the name of your state? Texas/ I am a 22 year old college student with a four year old son. Two years ago his mother and I split up and she developed a drug problem. Her Mom challenged for custody as well as my parents. I agreed to support my parents because I cannot yet financially support my son because I really want to finish college (2 years left). They told me that they would technically have custody, but I would make all of the decisions. We won the case and custody was awarded to my parents. However, after the trial, my Mom has began dictating what he can and cannot do, when he can stay at my apartment, etc. I refuse to allow my son to be one of those kids that's raised by his grandparents, but at the same time, I really need to finish college to support him. I can't argue with my Mom about anything because she is legally the decision maker. I feel like I've been duped into this and now I'm extremely frustrated. Any advice on what I can do to change the way that things are panning out?

casa

brandonkey82 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas/ I am a 22 year old college student with a four year old son. Two years ago his mother and I split up and she developed a drug problem. Her Mom challenged for custody as well as my parents. I agreed to support my parents because I cannot yet financially support my son because I really want to finish college (2 years left). They told me that they would technically have custody, but I would make all of the decisions. We won the case and custody was awarded to my parents. However, after the trial, my Mom has began dictating what he can and cannot do, when he can stay at my apartment, etc. I refuse to allow my son to be one of those kids that's raised by his grandparents, but at the same time, I really need to finish college to support him. I can't argue with my Mom about anything because she is legally the decision maker. I feel like I've been duped into this and now I'm extremely frustrated. Any advice on what I can do to change the way that things are panning out?
Tolerate the situation for what it is, knowing it is only temporary. ;) When you are out of college and able to support your son and yourself- You'll have every right to file for custody.

brandonkey82

Dont have court papers with me, but I believe grandparents are managing conservators and his mother and I are possessory, possibally the other way around. I'll post it as it is exactly stated later this evening.

casa

brandonkey82 said:
Dont have court papers with me, but I believe grandparents are managing conservators and his mother and I are possessory, possibally the other way around. I'll post it as it is exactly stated later this evening.
There's quite a difference between the two. If you are possessory conservator- it should outline the periods of possession...and typically you make the decisions re; the care and welfare of your son during those times.

Please do come back and post the wording of the court order- so you can get better direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">