• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old stepson about to be a dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WCMOM DSM

To start my new husband and I live in Maryland but my stepson lives in Virginia. He is my situation.
My step son was raised by his father with no child support and little contact from mom until stepson was almost 12 years old. At that time mom had become drug free, remarried and had aother son. Stepson and mom wanted to reconnect so with some trebidation my husband allowed stepson to move in with mom. Things were fine for about a two years since then stepson has been charged with distibution of crack and placed in an alternative school. As this was happening mom started asking for child support. up to this point we had always given her money anytime she had asked but now she wanted regular payments. for the best interest of the child we agreed and began sending biweekly checks to help out. My husband has had a real problem with this because of the 12 years my husband never got anything from her but we were trying to perserve a positive relationship for my stepson. Stepson is now 15 and announced that his 16 year old girlfriend is pregnant. Her parents don't believe in abortion and stepsons mom says she can't handle the thought of her grandchild being adopted. My husband has been completely shut out of this process and would not have even know the situation if he had not pressed the issue with stepson when he felt something was wrong. So here is my question, sorry it's so long, What is my husband financially responsible for? Does he have to pay for this grandchild when he has no say or is my stepson soley responsible? To our knowledge there is no discussion of marriage between the kids which would have emancipated my stepson. Any help with this sad situation would be greatly appriciated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dad will continue to be financially responsible for part of his son's support. His son, likewise, will be partially responsible for supporting his child.

As for Dad not receiving support while he was raising the boy - he had every right to file for support. If he chose not to, he has noone to blame but himself. Likewise, Mom was well within her rights to file for support once the boy moved in with her.

ENASNI

oh jeesh

Stealth just let Foamy free... I can't handle it anymore. :(

Wow Maryland... sorry for your plight... you are going to have to look into a lot more than child support at this time.

Phnx02

WCMOM DSM said:
To start my new husband and I live in Maryland but my stepson lives in Virginia. He is my situation.
My step son was raised by his father with no child support and little contact from mom until stepson was almost 12 years old. At that time mom had become drug free, remarried and had aother son. Stepson and mom wanted to reconnect so with some trebidation my husband allowed stepson to move in with mom. Things were fine for about a two years since then stepson has been charged with distibution of crack and placed in an alternative school. As this was happening mom started asking for child support. up to this point we had always given her money anytime she had asked but now she wanted regular payments. for the best interest of the child we agreed and began sending biweekly checks to help out. My husband has had a real problem with this because of the 12 years my husband never got anything from her but we were trying to perserve a positive relationship for my stepson. Stepson is now 15 and announced that his 16 year old girlfriend is pregnant. Her parents don't believe in abortion and stepsons mom says she can't handle the thought of her grandchild being adopted. My husband has been completely shut out of this process and would not have even know the situation if he had not pressed the issue with stepson when he felt something was wrong. So here is my question, sorry it's so long, What is my husband financially responsible for? Does he have to pay for this grandchild when he has no say or is my stepson soley responsible? To our knowledge there is no discussion of marriage between the kids which would have emancipated my stepson. Any help with this sad situation would be greatly appriciated.
Even though your stepson will soon be a parent, since he is only 15, your husband will still be obligated to pay child support for him until age 18. Your husband will not be responsible for paying cs for the baby. This is your stepson's responsibility. Encouraging the kids to get married at such a young age, just to earn emancipation status, is stupid. The kid's not even old enough to get a driver's license or a job. If they're not open to adoption, the best thing you can do at this point is teach the stepson responsibility so he can support his new family.

LdiJ

Phnx02 said:
Even though your stepson will soon be a parent, since he is only 15, your husband will still be obligated to pay child support for him until age 18. Your husband will not be responsible for paying cs for the baby. This is your stepson's responsibility. Encouraging the kids to get married at such a young age, just to earn emancipation status, is stupid. The kid's not even old enough to get a driver's license or a job. If they're not open to adoption, the best thing you can do at this point is teach the stepson responsibility so he can support his new family.
It isn't 100% guaranteed that dad won't somehow end up with some child support responsibility for the grandbaby. I agree that its unlikely, however there is a push going on lately to make grandparents accountable for support when their child is a minor and has a child. I have read articles and some case law from many different parts of the country where paternal grandparents have been ordered to contribute.

In each case the mother was also a minor, which made the maternal grandparents automatically responsible for the grandchild...and in each case the judge ruled that since the maternal grandparents had no choice but to take on the responsibility that the paternal grandparents were equally obliged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">