• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

remi42598

What is the name of your state? New York, back in 1988 I had a child with a young lady, we lived together until 1999 at the time we broke up she told me she was pregnant again but that I was not the father and she was leaving me for the father of her baby. I recently recieved a court order for child support and a paternity hearing 15 years later about a child that I was told was not mine. now that I know this is possibly my child I dont mind having a paternity test, but I resent the fact that I recieved a court order to do so, I want to fight this to the upmost because I think she simply needs money and has decided to try and finance her needs thru me. As for the first child we had together she collected welfare for her for many years in addition to cash that I would give her. What are my rights and will they try and lump my first child in this case also?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

If you don't have a court order for support then yes, if she receives state aid they will be 'lumped' together.

The best advice anyone can offer is to put your pride in your pants and take the DNA test. First, if you are found NOT to be the father of the second AND first child (and you should demand a test for both children, if both are in the order, be tested) then you can move to dismiss.

Second, if you ignore this then you ARE the father, period, by default.

The good news is you can only be assessed child support from the filing of the original order so that is the most important thing to note here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">