• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badbl

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have had some serious problems with my 17 yr old son. and now his father is refusing to pay child support because he has run away from home. there is nothing about this in my divorce papers. what can i do? and does he have the right to refuse to pay?

MrsK

badbl said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I have had some serious problems with my 17 yr old son. and now his father is refusing to pay child support because he has run away from home. there is nothing about this in my divorce papers. what can i do? and does he have the right to refuse to pay?
So your son ran away from home and your main concern is that you are no longer receiving child support?

No, he cant just refuse to pay, but really...YOU arent raising the kid, so why in the hell are you so worried about the $?

badbl

misunderstanding

I didn't mean for it to come across that i don't care. I have been working to raise my son for the past 4 years with only a small support from his dad. I went through counseling and then through drug court, me being there for him every step of the way. unfortunately, he continued and ended up in a 6 month residential program. again, i was the one who supported him. i really wish his dad and been there for him i think it would have helped. he got out of the program, seemed ok for about three months, got a job, getting his ged, and i helped him buy a used truck for his job. he ended up dui and possession. so again, instead of facing the consequences, he ran away again. i have a pickup order and have done everything i can think of to get him help. the least thing his dad could do would be help with some of the bills that have been caused by all this.

fairisfair

besides which, lets assume two things, that mom is looking for her son and that son will hopefully return home soon.

He has the right to file for a modification or to request termination of his child support, based on the fact that your son is no longer living with you, he does not have the right to just stop paying on his own.

ceara19

fairisfair said:
besides which, lets assume two things, that mom is looking for her son and that son will hopefully return home soon.

He has the right to file for a modification or to request termination of his child support, based on the fact that your son is no longer living with you, he does not have the right to just stop paying on his own.
Is there a full moon? You're being very sympathetic to poster that don't really deserve it and there seems to be an outbreak of stupidity among new members of epidemic proportions.

If your child was missing, would child support, or lack thereof, even cross your mind, let alone be important enough to find out if you could pursue the matter legally?

I wouldn't take a break from searching for my child so that I could get into a pissing match with dad over money! Even though he is legally in the wrong, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell the judge, "I know that I'm not actually PROVIDING for the child right now and I don't even know where the child is or even if he is okay, but DAD'S not paying child support!"

Why not give dad the benefit of doubt here? Maybe he is using the money to try and locate the child instead of giving it to mom.

OP - While the child was in the 6 month residential treatment program, was dad still paying child support to you?

badbl

just a place to beat people up

ceara19 said:
Is there a full moon? You're being very sympathetic to poster that don't really deserve it and there seems to be an outbreak of stupidity among new members of epidemic proportions.

If your child was missing, would child support, or lack thereof, even cross your mind, let alone be important enough to find out if you could pursue the matter legally?

I wouldn't take a break from searching for my child so that I could get into a pissing match with dad over money! Even though he is legally in the wrong, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell the judge, "I know that I'm not actually PROVIDING for the child right now and I don't even know where the child is or even if he is okay, but DAD'S not paying child support!"

Why not give dad the benefit of doubt here? Maybe he is using the money to try and locate the child instead of giving it to mom.

OP - While the child was in the 6 month residential treatment program, was dad still paying child support to you?
Did you read what I had written before? I haven't taken any kind of break. and no, he is not using the money to look for him. just like the last time, he sits on his hands and does nothing and blames me for our child's problems. I don't want to go to court on this, all I wanted to know was what my rights were. and no, he did not pay child support when he was in residential - that was something we agreed upon. nor did he participate in any of the 'family' counseling sessions during that time or during the time my son was with drug court. so what does this show his son? where is even just the emotional support? and why is it stupidity to ask a simple legal question? i thought that is what this forum was about, not beating up people. until you have gone through 4 years of drug problems with a child you have no right to judge me. i have been there for him, his dad has washed his hands of him. the only time he even has shown up was when our son was arrested before and he was worried about how this would look to all his friends. and i don't want your sympathy.

GrowUp!

badbl said:
Did you read what I had written before? I haven't taken any kind of break. and no, he is not using the money to look for him. just like the last time, he sits on his hands and does nothing and blames me for our child's problems. I don't want to go to court on this, all I wanted to know was what my rights were. and no, he did not pay child support when he was in residential - that was something we agreed upon. nor did he participate in any of the 'family' counseling sessions during that time or during the time my son was with drug court. so what does this show his son? where is even just the emotional support? and why is it stupidity to ask a simple legal question? i thought that is what this forum was about, not beating up people. until you have gone through 4 years of drug problems with a child you have no right to judge me. i have been there for him, his dad has washed his hands of him. the only time he even has shown up was when our son was arrested before and he was worried about how this would look to all his friends. and i don't want your sympathy.
Oh no...you're not looking for sympathy.

You are just wanting Dad to pay YOUR bills that YOU racked up, allegedly because of this. Stop pointing fingers and instead take a deep, long look in the mirror woman.

Calling Stuart Smalley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Smalley
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/snlcn/franken/stuart.html

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
enidora said:
As for child support he is not paying now He should at least do something with the money that rightfull belongs to the child and put it in a college fund or savings bonds.
No. He should either be paying it according to the order, or filing to have the order modified.

ceara19

enidora said:
Yes that is what he should do... I was just saying if he absolutly won't maybe that would be a good suggestion if he doesn't or won't or can't afford to mod the order. its better than the mother just writing off that amount like she did last time the child was away in the facility. Apparently that was all to the mothers expence
I would bet that the child's stay at the residential treatment facility was paid for by the state, not the parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">