• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1M in back CS...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I know what you meant...

But, to be technical (if not a bit anal)...

$1M = $1,000

$1MM = $1,000,000

;):cool:
so, what does $1K = ?

and even more fun;

what about $1M ?

what about $1G?

$1M and $1MM are both correct. It's a vernacular issue.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OK - idjit owes $1Million in back support.

Halle Berry has been ordered to pay ~$16k/mo.

TigerD

Ridiculous.

$8500 a month in child support? In what fantasy land is that not excessive? That is alimony disguised as child support.

DC

tuffbrk

Ridiculous.

$8500 a month in child support? In what fantasy land is that not excessive? That is alimony disguised as child support.

DC
Actually, Halle Berry was just ordered to pay $16,000 in monthly child support. If I remember correctly, in mega-wealthy cases, the courts justify this as their attempt to keep both residences of similar stature so that the child is not unduly "put off" by the lesser income earner's circumstances. Thus, the higher income earner can't "buy" the child. Or something of that sort...

Last edited:

justalayman

Technically, $1M and $1MM are not the same. That's what I said before ;)
actually, they are. It depends on the vernacular.

In a more professional arena:

M= 1000
MM = 1,000,000
G= 1,000,000,000

in the street or the common man's parlance,

K, G = 1000 (K representing Kilo and G as an abbreviation of grand commonly accepted as $1000)

M= 1,000,000 (generally seen as an abbreviation of million)

MM is not likely to be used

the common man has no true perception of $1,000,000,000 so it is generally referred to as SToM (**** ton of money)

but to toss even more in, M can refer to the prefix of mega which is actually 1,000,000 such as in Mb and MB.

Silverplum

I read that Ms. Berry received a reduction from $20K+/mo to $16K. Also, she is to pay $300K to Dad's attorneys and $115K (I think: remembering numbers = :eek:) to Dad for back child support. They have 50/50 custody.

:cool:

LdiJ

I read that Ms. Berry received a reduction from $20K+/mo to $16K. Also, she is to pay $300K to Dad's attorneys and $115K (I think: remembering numbers = :eek:) to Dad for back child support. They have 50/50 custody.

:cool:
Can you imagine the shock to the person receiving that child support when the child ages out? For me, I think it would almost be worse to receive that kind of CS than to not receive any at all.

single317dad

Those numbers aren't really out of guideline, though. With a quick stab at the Indiana calculator, given parent A @ $100k/wk and parent B at no income, A paying $50/wk child's health insurance, A having 61-65 overnights, and no other extenuating circumstances, parent A pays $6,674 per week in CS for one child. That's $5 million annual income, which is rare, but not for A-listers.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, considering he's paid $0 since 2001...

... it's not like the Baby Mamma is living high on the hog off of CS.

At this point, she can consider this her retirement/college fund... if she ever gets any of it.

TigerD

Can you imagine the shock to the person receiving that child support when the child ages out? For me, I think it would almost be worse to receive that kind of CS than to not receive any at all.
There is no reason that someone receiving that kind of money will not be a multimillionaire in their own right after three-to-four years.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">