• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 kids, one turning 18, how does this work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apsar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Greetings! I am under order to pay child support for two children in the State of Maine. One is about to turn 18 and will graduate high school in May 2011. The other is 16 and will graduate May 2013. I know my support obligation ends for my eldest with her graduation. My question is how much should I continue to pay for my younger child? Is there some kind of automatic review of my new child support obligation? Or come June 2011, do I simply use the computation figures from the existing order for one child? I fear that if I have to go into court to modify the order, my ex will drag this out as long as possible - and continue to pay the $900. I really don't want to revisit all those meaningless mediations and stupid hearings. How does this work?

Last edited:

haiku

the only thing that can change a court order is a new court order. You cannot decide to change a court order on your own.

A few months before the oldest childs high school grad, you can petition the court to review child support-but be aware that subsequent kids do not add much to the percentage owed for one child. If you make more money NOW than you did for the original order, your support may stay much the same or even be more.

It would be wise to run your numbers before you make a decisin t go back to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">