• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

need_advice

What is the name of your state? Alabama

20 years ago, my then 16 year old brother's girlfriend became pregnant and at that time it was discovered she'd also had relations with at least 3 other guys. My brother and parents wanted a paternity test since she was claiming the baby was my brothers. The girl and her mom would not agree to the paternity test at that time. Now 20 years later, the child is grown and through all those years, her mom told her my brother was her dad. The girl is now wanting a paternity test. My brother is concerned that if he agrees to the paternity test and it's discovered the girl is his that she or her mom would be able to sue for back child support or some other type of damages. Would this be possible? Also, if he doesn't agree to the paternity test, could the girl get any type of court order requiring him to submit to the test? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

S

somedude

in a word...

Nope!

What "damages"? It seems the person who did those most damage was the woman who slept with all of those guys and didn't bother to go through the legal routes to legally establish paternity when they were KIDS!

While others on here my tell you a few "possible options" at getting back support, at this point, they're all extreme long shots.

It's been 20 years! Move on.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Now for the CORRECT answer.

Back child support can only be recovered upon the existence of a valid court order for support. Whether or not a court issued the order or the ex-girlfriend received state aid is immaterial.

Therefore, before granting permission for the paternity test, you will need to determine if the state was involved with providing support for the child and/or family OR if an order of support was granted by a court of competent jurisdiction.

If neither of these apply, then paternity won't change anything except you have a daughter and a legal heir.

BL

He has no obligation to take a Paternity test , nor would a Judge order it .

The only reason he might want to take the test , is to satisfy his-self , that he is the biological Father , or If the Daughter would want to .

I wouldn't suggest doing it for who knows what purpose for the mother .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Alabama statute of limitations to establish paternity for support is 19. Just as an FYI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">