• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22 year old son needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BubblegumDug

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I was divorced in Florida but now reside in Michigan. My son is in college in Florida, he is almost 22 years old. I owe back support after having bilateral hip replacement surgery and am wondering what to do. My income does not cover my living expenses, house payment, bills, etc. and my current wife just lost her job. My ex wife makes over $80 thousand a year, and still receives child support from me, but my son doesn't ever see any of that money. I want to help him while he is in college and want to send that money directly to him because he really needs it, is there any way I can get an order to stop the payroll deduction for arrears? I tried to talk to the ex to ask her to sign an affidavit, but she said it would not be in her best interest. Anything at all I can do to help my son with this?

LdiJ

BubblegumDug said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I was divorced in Florida but now reside in Michigan. My son is in college in Florida, he is almost 22 years old. I owe back support after having bilateral hip replacement surgery and am wondering what to do. My income does not cover my living expenses, house payment, bills, etc. and my current wife just lost her job. My ex wife makes over $80 thousand a year, and still receives child support from me, but my son doesn't ever see any of that money. I want to help him while he is in college and want to send that money directly to him because he really needs it, is there any way I can get an order to stop the payroll deduction for arrears? I tried to talk to the ex to ask her to sign an affidavit, but she said it would not be in her best interest. Anything at all I can do to help my son with this?
The back support that you owe is not owed to your son. Its owed to his mother as reimbursement for the expenses of raising your son. Therefore mom is correct not to allow you off the hook for that. The courts will not let you stop paying mom until the arrearages are paid off. You may however, based on your circumstances, be able to get the monthly amount reduced. However, if you do that remember that you are being charged interest on the balance, so the longer it takes you to pay it off the more money you will end up paying.

rmet4nzkx

You can file a motion to modify the payments due to hardship, however they may not allow you to pay the money to your son instead, I would suggest you ask him to get a job or student loans or grants. What type of disability payments are you getting?

BubblegumDug

I'm not getting disability, I work full time, just got behind after surgery and complications from surgery and have never been able to afford to get caught up. My son does have a job and gets loans, just wanted to help him more so he didn't have so much to pay back after graduation. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">