• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

23 Year old female wants dad to pay back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandierose610

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My mom and dad divorced when I was 13. Basically from the get go he outright refused to pay child support.. He owes approx. $21,000 has been in jail numerous times for this and just doesn't care. I don't talk to him much but when I asked why he wont support me he said "support yourself" and hung up. I would like to know if there's any legal action I can take against him to get some form of payment from him.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

My mom and dad divorced when I was 13. Basically from the get go he outright refused to pay child support.. He owes approx. $21,000 has been in jail numerous times for this and just doesn't care. I don't talk to him much but when I asked why he wont support me he said "support yourself" and hung up. I would like to know if there's any legal action I can take against him to get some form of payment from him.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This is none of your legal business. This is between your mother and your father.

Banned_Princess

he owes nothing to you.

he owes your mom. If your mom wants it, tell her to come ask.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...when I asked why he wont support me he said "support yourself" and hung up.
You mean he <gasp> actually supported an ADULT to support herself? THE HORROR!

Seriously - you are an adult. That money is not now, nor was it ever, yours.

CSO286

The support is not and will not ever be owed to you. It is owed the person who supported you throughout your minority (You probably called her "Mom").

Last edited:

mandierose610

unbelievable

I honestly cannot believe the reactions i'm getting to this? If he would have paid my mom the child support when I was a minor it would have went to me! Now that i'm an adult why should he give my mom money ? And YES I DO SUPPORT MYSELF. *gasP* 2 jobs, college student thank you very much!!! I happen to be a college student working on being a paralegal and any sort of money I could get from him would be very much appreciate for college expenses. Let's just all side with the deadbeat parent and crap all over the children that suffered because of this. real classy.

Silverplum

There are precedents to this case. One is in california and the other in florida, you can download the judgement here :

SC00-600 Jamie and Lori Bardol v. Mary ******; Florida Supreme Court

And in those cases retroactive child support was awarded. Just looking to see limitations laws about this is PA thanks .
Let me get this straight: You were able to find court "cases" in two states other than PA, but want us to find PA cases? Is that your thinking?

Your link is unworkable.

Regardless, if you are able to do research, go therefore and research. Make sure to read carefully so that you understand what you're actually reading.

Antigone*

I honestly cannot believe the reactions i'm getting to this? If he would have paid my mom the child support when I was a minor it would have went to me! Now that i'm an adult why should he give my mom money ? And YES I DO SUPPORT MYSELF. *gasP* 2 jobs, college student thank you very much!!! I happen to be a college student working on being a paralegal and any sort of money I could get from him would be very much appreciate for college expenses. Let's just all side with the deadbeat parent and crap all over the children that suffered because of this. real classy.
The money owed is owed to your mother. Just think of all the manis and pedis she could take advantage of, or all the great vacations she could take.

You are not entitled to this money. Let's all just side with the deadbeat who raised an arrogant adult.:rolleyes:

mandierose610

oh

and by the way my mom has DILIGENTLY been pursuing this since I was 13. constantly going to court appearances. putting my dad in jail. he laughs in her face when she wants him to pay for HIS KIDS. I'm at my wits end and I would very much like someone with some real legal background to give me an intelligent answer on this. those precedents are very similar to my case ...are any of you familiar with what a precedent is even? :mad:

Antigone*

and by the way my mom has DILIGENTLY been pursuing this since I was 13. constantly going to court appearances. putting my dad in jail. he laughs in her face when she wants him to pay for HIS KIDS. I'm at my wits end and I would very much like someone with some real legal background to give me an intelligent answer on this. those precedents are very similar to my case ...are any of you familiar with what a precedent is even? :mad:
You've been given the legal advice requested by an attorney no less.

Silverplum

I honestly cannot believe the reactions i'm getting to this?
We honestly can't believe "children" come here to ask this same old question over and over, at least two a week. :rolleyes:

mandierose610 said:
If he would have paid my mom the child support when I was a minor it would have went to me!
You misunderstand.
It goes to the parent. Never the child. It's to help support the child.

I'm very excited to explain that again. To another "adult". :rolleyes:

mandierose610 said:
Now that i'm an adult why should he give my mom money ?
You misunderstand.
It goes to the parent. Never the child. It's to help support the child.

I'm very excited to explain that again. To another "adult". :rolleyes:

mandierose610 said:
And YES I DO SUPPORT MYSELF. *gasP* 2 jobs, college student thank you very much!!! I happen to be a college student working on being a paralegal and any sort of money I could get from him would be very much appreciate for college expenses.
This is a legal site, little girl.

What do you think we're doing here? Giving legal answers.

It's not about whining, it's not about having tantrums. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mandierose610 said:
Let's just all side with the deadbeat parent and crap all over the children that suffered because of this. real classy.
Your tantrums are what are not "classy." Your attitude is definitely not "classy." And your inability to express yourself without swearing is the opposite of "classy."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">