• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

24 hour notice to pay $1000

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SPD1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am in NJ and went to a hearing regarding child support where I was given 24 hours to pay $1000 in one lump sum otherwise a warrant may be issued. I am currently not working and don't have that to pay. Is there anyway I can appeal or negotiate? I find it unreasonable that I was given 24 hours.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am in NJ and went to a hearing regarding child support where I was given 24 hours to pay $1000 in one lump sum otherwise a warrant may be issued. I am currently not working and don't have that to pay. Is there anyway I can appeal or negotiate? I find it unreasonable that I was given 24 hours.
Short answer: No. You've had your chances. Pack your toothbrush. :cool:

Eekamouse

Your children need to eat, don't they? Or is that unreasonable also?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just how far behind are you?

Proserpina

But you weren't given just 24 hours. You were given time before that. I'd go with "quite a bit of time".

We all know this isn't the state's first attempt in trying to get you to pay.

single317dad

You'll be given additional time to pay. Rather, you'll be given additional time to arrange for someone else to pay while you wait in a jail cell. It is in your interest to exhaust all possible means of payment before that time. By definition, the judge believes you are capable of paying yet refuse to do so, or the order could not have been issued.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
But you weren't given just 24 hours. You were given time before that. I'd go with "quite a bit of time".

We all know this isn't the state's first attempt in trying to get you to pay.
Yeah, NJ does NOT act that quickly. And I suspect that $1000 is a fraction of what you owe in back support.

So, I'll ask again - how far behind are you? WHY have you not paid as ordered (there may be ways for you to help yourself moving forward)? How involved are you in your child(ren)'s life/lives?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">