• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

30/30 rule

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PATSDIGGER

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEVADA

In regards to the 30/30 rule which is ordered, if my ex took our son to the hospital and signed me as the guarantor at a bogus address(and she still has my last name), so the hospital didn't know we have been divorced for years. She is also ordered to provide the insurance for him, which she hasn't. I never received a bill and didn't know about it until I pulled my credit and it had gone to collections. I am paying the collection agency half of that bill. Now there are also 5 more that I didn't know about, Do I legally have to pay that bill and any others since she never presented me a bill within the 30 day timeframe?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEVADA

In regards to the 30/30 rule which is ordered, if my ex took our son to the hospital and signed me as the guarantor at a bogus address(and she still has my last name), so the hospital didn't know we have been divorced for years. She is also ordered to provide the insurance for him, which she hasn't. I never received a bill and didn't know about it until I pulled my credit and it had gone to collections. I am paying the collection agency half of that bill. Now there are also 5 more that I didn't know about, Do I legally have to pay that bill and any others since she never presented me a bill within the 30 day timeframe?
First, tell us exactly what the order says on the subject. Word for word, but without the names.

Second, have you filed a police report for identity theft for someone using your name and creating payment authorizations without your permission? Why not?

You could also refuse to pay since you never authorized the payment and never signed as guarantor. However, the fact that you've been making payments may eliminate your ability to do that at this point - depends on state collections laws.

PATSDIGGER

Thank you for your imput. It states that health insurance shall be provided for the children by the plaintiff or her new husband with the defendant(me), reimbursing one-half of the premiums cost for the children upon proof of the cost breakdown.

mistoffolees

Thank you for your imput. It states that health insurance shall be provided for the children by the plaintiff or her new husband with the defendant(me), reimbursing one-half of the premiums cost for the children upon proof of the cost breakdown.
I doubt if that's the exact wording. If you want help, we need to know EXACTLY what it says.

You also didn't answer my other question. Did you report the identity theft to the authorities?

PATSDIGGER

I typed it from the order. I'm looking right at it. And I just found out that all these med bills were in collections when I pulled my credit for buying a house. I wanted to get as much info first, but I am going to contact the authorities also.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File a police report if she put a bogus address for you and made you guarantor. Most likely you were a guarantor if you were providing primary health insurance for your child.

PATSDIGGER

I believe that many years ago, at least 7-10 years ago I had to provide the insurance. The hospital may have had my name in the system as a guarantor at that time. I've had this new order since 2010 in which she has to provide the insurance or her new husband. Obviously she never told the hospital that I'm not the guarantor and the address she was using for me, I never lived at. All the hospital says is how are they to know that she wasn't married anymore to me because she still uses my last name, Can a judge order her to also take her new married name, to maybe alleviate anymore of this also.
Thanks

Proserpina

I believe that many years ago, at least 7-10 years ago I had to provide the insurance. The hospital may have had my name in the system as a guarantor at that time. I've had this new order since 2010 in which she has to provide the insurance or her new husband. Obviously she never told the hospital that I'm not the guarantor and the address she was using for me, I never lived at. All the hospital says is how are they to know that she wasn't married anymore to me because she still uses my last name, Can a judge order her to also take her new married name, to maybe alleviate anymore of this also.
Thanks

Heck no.

The court will not do that.

mistoffolees

I typed it from the order. I'm looking right at it. And I just found out that all these med bills were in collections when I pulled my credit for buying a house. I wanted to get as much info first, but I am going to contact the authorities also.
If that's the exact order, where is the part about 30/30? You're obviously leaving something out.

Furthermore, the part you quoted doesn't say who pays for uninsured amounts (deductibles, copays, etc), so it's impossible to say who owes what.

Who has primary physical custody?

PATSDIGGER

She has primary custody. The order states that any unreimbursed medical, dental,orthodontic, optical, or other health related expense incurred be divided pursuant to the 30/30 rule. This rule means that either party incurring an out of pocket medical expense shall provide a copy of the paid invoice/receipt to the other party within 30 days of incurring such expense, if not tendered within the 30 day period, the Court may consider it as a waive of reimbursement. She never sent me a bill. She just used me as the guarantor several times and used the bogus address. Thats why everything went to collections. I had no idera that she had even taken him to the hospital.

mistoffolees

She has primary custody. The order states that any unreimbursed medical, dental,orthodontic, optical, or other health related expense incurred be divided pursuant to the 30/30 rule. This rule means that either party incurring an out of pocket medical expense shall provide a copy of the paid invoice/receipt to the other party within 30 days of incurring such expense, if not tendered within the 30 day period, the Court may consider it as a waive of reimbursement. She never sent me a bill. She just used me as the guarantor several times and used the bogus address. Thats why everything went to collections. I had no idera that she had even taken him to the hospital.
Once again, you need to file a complaint for identity theft. If you had done that from the start, you would probably not have been held liable for the expenses (certainly not any that weren't given to you within 30 days). But the fact that you started paying on the debt may allow the hospital to collect from you even though you never signed.

File a complaint. Now. Then tell the hospital that there was a mistake and you never authorized the payment.

ecmst12

This does not appear to fall under the 30 day rule in your order though, since this isn't a bill that mom paid and is now asking for reimbursement for.:(

PATSDIGGER

So is the only recourse I have is to file a police report? She knowingly put my name on as the guarantor at a bogus address with her home #. I never lived at the address and I wasnt required to have the insurance, she was or her NEW husband. The hospital said when I talked to them that how were they to know we still werent married, she still has my last name, and she didn't tell them any different either, so of course they sent bills to that address obviously with no response and now they are in collections ruining my credit. I just want this to be resolved so she can't keep doing this to me.

LdiJ

So is the only recourse I have is to file a police report? She knowingly put my name on as the guarantor at a bogus address with her home #. I never lived at the address and I wasnt required to have the insurance, she was or her NEW husband. The hospital said when I talked to them that how were they to know we still werent married, she still has my last name, and she didn't tell them any different either, so of course they sent bills to that address obviously with no response and now they are in collections ruining my credit. I just want this to be resolved so she can't keep doing this to me.
This may seem like an odd question, but whose address did she use? Hers, a fake one, one of your family members?

Some medical providers are very aggressive about collecting on past due accounts. If she properly listed you as simply the father, but gave HER address for the bills then this may be nothing more than the hospital being aggressive enough to attach the bills to both your and her credit reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">