• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

32 year mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macca

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

When my brother was in H.S. (1972, in Massachusetts)) he had a brief liason with another H.S. girl. She was living with someone else at the time. 9 months later came a baby (born in Florida). No attempt was made by the mother to I.D. my bro as the father; indeed, she told all it was the boyfriend who was the father. We don't know at this juncture who's name (if any) is on the birth certificate. This woman is now saying my bro was the father, wants to tell her daughter this, and my bro is freaking as he has no idea what his legal obligation would be (if any) at this point in time. Is he obligated to take a DNA/paternity test? If it is established he is the father, does he have any legal (forget any moral for the moment) obligations after 32 years? Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

macca said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

When my brother was in H.S. (1972, in Massachusetts)) he had a brief liason with another H.S. girl. She was living with someone else at the time. 9 months later came a baby (born in Florida). No attempt was made by the mother to I.D. my bro as the father; indeed, she told all it was the boyfriend who was the father. We don't know at this juncture who's name (if any) is on the birth certificate. This woman is now saying my bro was the father, wants to tell her daughter this, and my bro is freaking as he has no idea what his legal obligation would be (if any) at this point in time. Is he obligated to take a DNA/paternity test? If it is established he is the father, does he have any legal (forget any moral for the moment) obligations after 32 years? Thanks.

My response:

He may be "asked" to take a DNA test but, because it's Florida where the woman lives and the 32 year old "child", there's no jurisdiction to "require" your brother to take such a test. Your brother has no "legal" obligations in this matter - - unless the mother received some form of State aid during the "child's" minority. That debt never dies. But, I'd like to see the State of Florida try to get your brother to take a DNA test, because Florida has no jurisdiction over your brother.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">