• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4 years of overpaying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rizanyi

It has been brought to my attention that the state now owes me back child support due to a claricle error in the child support dept. The child was adopted 1-28.2005. I found this out by my ex-wife who said that she had turned in the adoption form which was filed in Florida. I had given it to the case worker who said she would look into it. next thing I new my garnishment stopped and I was refunded the last two garnishments. This was in 10-9-2009. I also have a copy of this adoption and the paperwork DSHS sent closing the case. Should I not get a refund for the 4 years they were taking money from me? I do not wish the go after my ex, especially since this would cause hardship on her.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tacoma WA

Proserpina

It has been brought to my attention that the state now owes me back child support due to a claricle error in the child support dept. The child was adopted 1-28.2005. I found this out by my ex-wife who said that she had turned in the adoption form which was filed in Florida. I had given it to the case worker who said she would look into it. next thing I new my garnishment stopped and I was refunded the last two garnishments. This was in 10-9-2009. I also have a copy of this adoption and the paperwork DSHS sent closing the case. Should I not get a refund for the 4 years they were taking money from me? I do not wish the go after my ex, especially since this would cause hardship on her.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tacoma WA

You really, really need an attorney.

How did you not know that your child was adopted?

mistoffolees

If anyone is getting sued, assuming she received the money, it's mom.
Ultimately, yes.

But if CSE made a mistake and kept withholding money after receiving notification that the child had been adopted, they might be required to reimburse OP - and then try to collect the money from Mom.

Of course, that still begs the question of why OP let withholding go on for 4 years after the child was adopted and never did anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">