• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In 50/50 custody what am I obligated to provide the non-custodial parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celedones

I live in PA and have 50/50 custody arrangement. I get support payments (reduced due to 50/50 custody). But I am confused as to what I am required to provide/pay for while he has custody. Am I obligated to provide clothing and money for school lunch on the days he has custody.

In most 50/50 custody situations, the parents share the financial costs of the child. If he is ordered to pay child support to you, this probably means that he makes more money than you do. Generally speaking, each parent would be required to provide all the necessities for the child while in his/her care. Some exceptions may be, but are not limited to, additional medical expenditures and extracurricular activity costs. As for clothing, food, housing, toiletries, etc, it would be generally accepted that he should provide these things while the child is in his care.

However, you should check your court order, just to be certain that there is no stipulation regarding this issue.

rmet4nzkx

Basically you each provide for the child while in your care, this often means two sets of child's belongings at each home, including clothing or at least freedom for the child if old enough to have access to their things, there is no sense having 2 of every electronic toy, but having acess to a computer for school work would be nice. Sharing expenses on some common items, like bicycle, skates, sports equipment, use common sense. Whether or not you end up providing meals might depend on when your exchanges occur, like providing lunch money on Monday morning for the day even though child goes to other parents home after school. Or buying lunch tickets if available and sharing the cost. But you should not have to provide for all school lunch meals and extra expenses just because you receive child support unless that was the intent of the child support order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">