• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

50/50 Ex overpaying daycare during my time to run up Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CODad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

We have been in a 50/50 custody arrangement since the divorce 5 years ago. The two children spend one week with me, then one week with their mom and so on. Colorado includes the childcare costs in the child support. Since both my current wife and I are home during the day, there is no need for daycare during the weeks I have my children. Six months ago we took the children out of daycare during my weeks but my ex continues to pay full daycare costs (despite them not charging her-she has $600 credit on her account at this point) during my week so when she submits the childcare expenses the child support won't be lowered to reflect them not having the daycare costs during my time. We tried to petition the courts to have each parent pay the childcare during their own time so she would not be paying or claiming the costs during my time and they wouldn't agree to it since she has paid on time. I'm still unsure how that is the deciding factor in whether parents should pay for their own rather than her being able to make whatever payments she wants.
She is now attempting to put both children in a daycare that has a required minimum of 2 days each week meaning we have to pay for those two days even if the children are not there and has plans to put one in a home daycare that requires payment for every week whether they are there or not once school starts again despite several daycares here allowing week on/week off daycare rates that are lower. We can't find anything in the state statutes that protect us from her overpaying on purpose to drive up the costs. We don't expect to get reimbursed for the amounts she's pocketed the last 6 months and we can't find anything that prohibits her from claiming costs during my weeks because she chooses to pay additional or use a daycare that has minimums.
Our parenting plan also requires us to make joint decisions on the daycare and schooling but she's already given notice to their current daycares and enrolled them in the new one despite my response being that I do not agree to moving their daycares from the current arrangement. Is there any case law or anything that supports asking the court to only allow her to claim the childcare during her time and that if she chooses a daycare that charges during my time, she has to pay that herself? We have the proof that she is overcharging and asking them specifically to charge her the full rates during my weeks. Aside from a slap on the wrist and being told not to do it, does this not prove that she is misusing the funds and extorting additional funds and shouldn't this give us reason to remove her from the responsibility of paying the childcare during my time? Can anything be done with contempt because she is not following the parenting plan requiring joint decision-making on daycare and school? Thanks for any information.

Last edited:

single317dad

I'd start by addressing C.R.S. 14-10-115(9):

(a) Net child care costs incurred on behalf of the children due to employment or job search or the education of either parent shall be added to the basic obligation and shall be divided between the parents in proportion to their adjusted gross incomes.

(b) Child care costs shall not exceed the level required to provide quality care from a licensed source for the children. The value of the federal income tax credit for child care shall be subtracted from actual costs to arrive at a figure for net child care costs.
Argue that the off-weeks are not job-related, so you shouldn't be responsible. Make sure you're not overpaying. Don't forget the tax credit. Good luck.

CODad

I'd start by addressing C.R.S. 14-10-115(9):

Argue that the off-weeks are not job-related, so you shouldn't be responsible. Make sure you're not overpaying. Don't forget the tax credit. Good luck.
Thanks, that does look like the best approach and it brought me to another thought and question. I may have missed this boat but my ex was on maternity leave for 3 and a half months this year and continued to put the children in daycare during that time even though she was not working. My CS was not adjusted based on that and I didn't know it could be. I haven't found anything in searches to clearly define that there is cause for support to change as a result of that but I'm wondering if it falls under this same concept of it not being work-related childcare?

CJane

Well, you're not going to retroactively be able to change it, regardless. Also, it would be worth a consult with an attorney in your state. I know that here (not CO), changes in daycare costs are NOT considered to be changes in circumstances that can trigger a review of child support.

CODad

Update

To update, I consulted with my lawyer and although she will be contacting my exes lawyer about the financial side, she suggested going at this from the side that our parenting plan requires joint decision-making and the childcare choices she has been making are not agreed upon. Since I can't recoup the overage, the way forward is to not agree to anything that she claims charges during my time and provide her with several options available here that would not make it necessary for her to do so. If she goes forward with it anyway, we can follow up with a contempt if necessary. And it may provide some negotiation options that will help her understand that I have the right to have a say and could either work WITH her, or against her rather than that she can continue to do what she wants and that I have no rights. We're also looking into the possibility of getting a parent coordinator to help in future issues since we foresee many more years of control battles. Although parent coordinators can make things more difficult, right now she's making the decisions and forcing them and at least with someone who looks at the whole picture logically, rather than with an underlying motive, we are still pretty confident that would be in the kids' best interest, even if we don't always like the results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">