• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About to get inheritance...advice for getting around back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkMosier

Wyoming

I owe $80000+ in back child support.

My father is dying as we speak. He intends to leave a large sum of his money and property to me. But I owe $80000+ in child support. I came across, by accident, something that said once it goes to probate that they can take my $$$.

All of it? Or is there a calculation. I have to eat and pay my bills, right?

I heard if my father can put the money he intends for me into a trust, then the government can't touch the money.

Is this true? If not, is there any other way to get around this legally?

Please do NOT judge me. I don't want to hear, "Pay up!" or "You schmuck, just pay what you owe!!" I can get that kind of answer anywhere. I'm hoping for a mature non-judgmental response here. Some advice. Or at least honesty if I'm screwed. Maybe I will luck out and she won't hire a lawyer. But I think she's aware of the situation and is preparing to do so.

What are my odds here? Any way around it? Or should I expect $80000 cut from what I owe?

I'm not sure how much I'm getting yet. If I only got $20000, is there some calculation where at least I get to keep some of it???

Thanks for any advice!

Proserpina

Wyoming

My father is dying as we speak. He intends to leave a large sum of his money and property to me. But I owe $80000+ in child support. I came across, by accident, something that said once it goes to probate that they can take my $$$.

I heard if my father can put the money he intends for me into a trust, then the government can't touch the money.

Please do NOT judge me. I don't want to hear, "Pay up!" or "You schmuck, just pay what you owe!!" I can get that kind of answer anywhere. I'm hoping for a mature non-judgmental response here. Some advice. Or at least honesty if I'm screwed. Maybe I will luck out and she won't hire a lawyer. But I think she's aware of the situation and is preparing to do so.

What are my odds here? Any way around it? Or should I expect $80000 cut from what I owe?

I'm not sure how much I'm getting yet. If I only got $20000, is there some calculation where at least I get to keep some of it???

Thanks for any advice!

Sorry, can't do that.

1. Pay up!

2. Pay for what you owe.

Other than that?

The deafening sounds of crickets chirping and playing the world's smallest violin.

You sound remarkably familiar. I wonder why.

KirkMosier

Hold on...I heard if it's already been placed in a trust (or at least going to be) then that money can't be touched.

Please, no sarcasm or judgment.

They really would take the whole thing to cover the arrears? But isn't there some calculation from the state that would take into account my standard of living?

they can't just wipe it out like that, can they?

Just answers, please? no judgement

Last edited:

Proserpina

Hold on...I heard if it's already been placed in a trust (or at least going to be) then that money can't be touched.

Please, no sarcasm or judgment.

They really would take the whole thing to cover the arrears? But isn't there some calculation from the state that would take into account my standard of living?

they can't just wipe it out like that, can they?

Just answers, please? no judgement

A wonderful thing, is karma. You don't give a flying ferret fart about the children, and the court doesn't give a flying ferret fart about your standard of living.

Which is as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eekamouse

What are you going to do, OP? Hang onto your inheritance and then will it to the kids you have neglected to support? Yeah, right. Hopefully, you won't see a red cent of this inheritance, that it will go to your children and you'll be just like they are right now, having nothing from their father.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
D00d... Are you seriously expecting us to help you figure out a scheme for how to get out of supporting your kids? Do you expect your dying father to help you do so? I can just see the convo:

D00d: Hey, Dad! Do me a favor while you draw your dying breath... Open this trust so I can continue neglecting your grandchildren, okay? Let me hold the pen for you...

Dad: Are you nuts? Who ARE you? I did not raise you to be such a selfish and greedy little git. Gimme that pen - I'm gonna start a trust alright - for my grandkids, you useless piece of whale scum! And the cat gets the rest - you're not going to see a penny!

Oh wait.... was that too judgmental?

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

Kirk, you must be such a comfort to your father on his deathbed. I'd offer my condolences on the impending loss of your father, but you don't seem to need them. :(

A lien is a claim against property, allowing it to be taken to satisfy a debt. The court has the authority to place a lien on property, preventing the owner from selling the property or borrowing against it until any child support debts are paid.
A custodial parent who is owed back child support already has a child support lien. To "perfect" the lien, the custodial parent must file a notice of child support lien containing pertinent information. The notice can be filed where the other parent lives or owns property or where the child support order was issued, and it must be sworn under oath. That lien then becomes a charge against any property that can be sold to pay debts.
When the property is intangible, like an inheritance, the lien establishes a right of recovery, allowing debtors to receive payment ahead of the heir. Along with tax refunds, lottery winnings, and worker’s compensation settlements, the proceeds from an inheritance could be considered among those sources of funds from which a child support arrearage may be paid.
Laws on intercepting inheritances for back child support vary by state. Consultation with a family law attorney knowledgeable in the child support laws in your sate of residence is the best way to learn how to seek back child support.
Source:

http://budgeting.thenest.com/can-proceeds-inheritance-intercepted-back-child-support-owed-23605.html

Ladyback1

Wyoming

Thanks for any advice!
So, you're not eating or paying your bills now??:rolleyes:

Bless your heart--if there were a way for me to alert your Ex of this, you can bet I would! $80000?? That's insane. How many years did you go without paying anything to support the children you created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">