• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Absent parent receives child support check from another absent parent??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcheek

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have physical custody of my 8 year old grand daughter for the past 3 years. I had legal guardianship but I allowed it to lapse. Anyway, I receive assistance from DTA for my grand daughter as well as $50 a month child support from DOR/DCE via dta that just started this past May from her absent father. Tell me why did a CHECK come here for my daughter, in her name, for $1500 when I receive support payments every month?? And I take care of her daughter, she lives with me. Mom lives somewhere else???

Thank you

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I have physical custody of my 8 year old grand daughter for the past 3 years. I had legal guardianship but I allowed it to lapse. Anyway, I receive assistance from DTA for my grand daughter as well as $50 a month child support from DOR/DCE via dta that just started this past May from her absent father. Tell me why did a CHECK come here for my daughter, in her name, for $1500 when I receive support payments every month?? And I take care of her daughter, she lives with me. Mom lives somewhere else???

Thank you
Guessing you never filed for child support from either parent Why is that? (and yes - BOTH parents should be paying you CS.)

LdiJ

Thank you
If your daughter previously had a child support order and there were arrearages, that would explain why. The oldest arrearages would be paid first, and those could have been owed to your daughter.

tcheek

I was strongly "encouraged" to sign child support order

No, I signed the order when Dce hand delivered it. The guy told me if I didn't sign it could affect the services I receive for my grand daughter?? Even if it were from years ago, why send it here? She doesn't and has never lived here.. I signed it and he told me current support first then we go after anything owed. That was two years ago... I'm contesting it. I'm holding the check...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I signed the order when Dce hand delivered it. The guy told me if I didn't sign it could affect the services I receive for my grand daughter?? Even if it were from years ago, why send it here? She doesn't and has never lived here.. I signed it and he told me current support first then we go after anything owed. That was two years ago... I'm contesting it. I'm holding the check...
You have no right to "hold" the check - either send it back to the folks that sent it or forward it to your daughter.

ETA: Personally, I'd send it back to the folks that sent it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">