• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Address Unknown, how do we get papers served?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallyinsalem

Currently we live in New Hampshire. My son was born in Alabama. His father currently has no known address. He works as a deckhand off the Gulf. He's out to sea for 4-6 weeks at a time, and on shore 2 weeks at a time. DHHS Child Support/Interstate Child Support refuse to send papers to his boat evn though they DO receive mail there. They said they will not send anything c/o. DHHS has verified his work, and have told me they have done everything they possibly can on their end until they are presented with a legal address to send the papers to. They said they cannot even start a court order without an address to have those papers served.

My son's father has been living out of motels in Alabama and again, they won't send papers c/o to a business. I have heard he will be moving to Louisiana within the next month and will most likely be living with friends and hiding his address still.

I have NO money to hire a lawyer....

Any suggestions? Anyone ever been this route?

He often bragged how in any legal instances how he was basically untouchable because he was out on a boat all the time.

Silverplum

Currently we live in New Hampshire. My son was born in Alabama. His father currently has no known address. He works as a deckhand off the Gulf. He's out to sea for 4-6 weeks at a time, and on shore 2 weeks at a time. DHHS Child Support/Interstate Child Support refuse to send papers to his boat evn though they DO receive mail there. They said they will not send anything c/o. DHHS has verified his work, and have told me they have done everything they possibly can on their end until they are presented with a legal address to send the papers to. They said they cannot even start a court order without an address to have those papers served.

My son's father has been living out of motels in Alabama and again, they won't send papers c/o to a business. I have heard he will be moving to Louisiana within the next month and will most likely be living with friends and hiding his address still.

He often bragged how in any legal instances how he was basically untouchable because he was out on a boat all the time.
Hire a local-to-Dad process server and be done with it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Contact his family. :cool:

Silverplum

He's out on the boat now, it docks in Louisiana. The business he works for is based out of Louisiana
Then use a Louisiana server.

single317dad

Thank you... I'll look into that.. and try to figure out how to pay for that.... as I have no money
No one is going to track him down for free; even doing it yourself will cost money (probably more than hiring someone locally). The only rational choice is for you to get some money, as having none severely hampers your ability to proceed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the process server going to do for the OP? Per the OP, there isn't even a case yet. They refuse to open one without a physical address.

They said they cannot even start a court order without an address to have those papers served.

CSO286

I have no money
I always wonder what "I have no money" really means.

So how do you pay your bills?
Buy food?
Care for your child(ren)?

How often do you
Buy alcohol?
Buy tobacco producs?
Get your hair/nails done?

Who pays for your
Housing?
Groceries?
Cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">