• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Child Attending School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SS r Us

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Hello,
I have been divorced for over 10 years. The ex & I have 2 children. Our divorce did not have any support order.
At first, the children split their time between both homes about 50/50, and we both shared in their expenses. After a couple years, they were spending more time with her than with me, so in 2001 I agreed to pay her $600 a month in child support. After my daughter turned 18 and moved out in 2003, I continued to pay the $600 per month. On top of this I have payed for many other things.....I helped pay for a car for each of them when they were 16, payed for 1/2 of their auto insurance, payed for 1/2 of medical/dental/orthodontist bills, and payed the monthly preimium for their medical insurance until 2007 when I could no longer cover them on my policy.
Now, my daughter is 23 and out of the picture. My son turned 18 in January, and I continued to pay for him until he graduated high school, and then I stopped paying. Since then, I have payed for 1/2 of his college tuition and books. Now, my ex has served me with papers and I am ordered to appear at a hearing and show cause why our divorce should not be modified to award support for my child attending school in accordance with Oregon Uniform Support Guidlines and also pay her attorney fees. My ex is the petitioner in these papers.
Is it possible that I could have to pay my ex at this point in time? It just doesn't seem right.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The child is an adult. I don't think she would get very far as she should have petitioned to modify before your youngest became an adult.

SS r Us

The child is an adult. I don't think she would get very far as she should have petitioned to modify before your youngest became an adult.
Thanks for the response. Is this true under Oregon's Uniform Support Guidlines? How can this get far enough for me to be ordered to a hearing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">