• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult disabled child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? vt..I know in Vt there is no statute as of yet..but..curious....how many years do these other states with laws to keep paying child support after majority on disabled child/adult expect parents to pay child support for???? what if you have a parent scraping by on ss or ssi...does this mean that a 70 year old will have to pay for her 50 year old son/daughter???

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? vt..I know in Vt there is no statute as of yet..but..curious....how many years do these other states with laws to keep paying child support after majority on disabled child/adult expect parents to pay child support for???? what if you have a parent scraping by on ss or ssi...does this mean that a 70 year old will have to pay for her 50 year old son/daughter???
There is no hard and fast "rule" for the most part. Generally once a disabled child becomes an adult there are resources available for the adult disabled person.

However, if the parents of the disabled adult have significant resources, then generally the state is going to look towards both parents for support for the disabled adult child if the disability manifested prior to adulthood.

In other words, a 70 year old person living on nothing much more than Social Security is unlikely to be held responsible, financially, for their disabled adult child, but a 70 year old person with a healthy retirement income might.

CourtClerk

CA can order you to pay for the life of the "child." My friend and coworker just received an order for her ex to support their child until said child passes away... which won't happen anytime soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">