• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice please back child support jail time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdog1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN. My husband was arrested on a warrant for back child support he had been paying for 9 years straight. He went through a depression and hadn't worked over the last year which has led him to be $10,000 behind. He has been told either to pay the $10,000 or be in jail for 9 months (originally 18months). We don't have $10,000 to pay. I am going to have a baby at the end of this month it is killing him that he won't be here. Is there anyway to make the judge agree to a payment plan?? Also that 9 months is just going to add that much more to the back support owed. Please I need him back. He is not a dead beat he was paying and has done everything he can for the child he pays the support for. Can I offer my wages garnished till he gets his job?

CJane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN. My husband was arrested on a warrant for back child support he had been paying for 9 years straight. He went through a depression and hadn't worked over the last year which has led him to be $10,000 behind. He has been told either to pay the $10,000 or be in jail for 9 months (originally 18months). We don't have $10,000 to pay. I am going to have a baby at the end of this month it is killing him that he won't be here. Is there anyway to make the judge agree to a payment plan?? Also that 9 months is just going to add that much more to the back support owed. Please I need him back. He is not a dead beat he was paying and has done everything he can for the child he pays the support for. Can I offer my wages garnished till he gets his job?
Those monthly child support payments ARE the payment plan.

SOMETIMES, a judge will agree to the NCP paying a 'purge' amount and then making monthly payments that are MORE THAN originally ordered. But that's iffy, totally up to the judge, and largely dependent upon WHY NCP was in arrears to begin with.

You could have been making his CS payments all along and he wouldn't have fallen into arrears. But no, you cannot offer up a garnishment of your wages NOW. Especially when you'll be on leave soon since you're giving birth.

This didn't sneak up on Dad. He KNEW he wasn't paying.

Isis1

not to be snarky, but there is absolutely no way you can MAKE a judge do anything. you can plead, offer, beg and convince....but never MAKE.:p

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, when there was a 'show cause' motion on the table, did the husband GO to court? These things don't just happen. There are letters that come from the courts. Were they ignored?

I know that my X ignored the show cause hearing and he landed up in the pokey when he got stopped for a traffic violation.

tanja53

Depression.

When a lot of people go through trough depression means they cant handle normal life issues.

Has nothing to do what they want but what they are cable of.

So please dont judge a depressed person . You will just add more depression to the person.

Silverplum

Depression.

When a lot of people go through trough depression means they cant handle normal life issues.

So please dont judge a depressed person . You will just add more depression to the person.
You know this is a LEGAL board, right?

:rolleyes: Well, I'm here to tell you that this is a LEGAL board. Now you know.

"Depression" isn't a legal excuse to not pay CS.

Just Blue

Depression.

Shut up Tanja..You are clueless and bring nothing to this forum.

Just Blue

Great. You just caused depression in a person.

Meanie poopyhead.
Well..You KNOW I am the Queen Meanie Mean Meanie Of the site!!

Perhaps the depression I caused in Tanja will cause her to be unable to post despite a desperate desire to do so....:cool:

One can hope....:)

I just want to make sure I have this straight. Dad was depressed, didn't work for a year. Yet 8 months ago was lively enough to create another child with OP.

He didn't pay for his current child(ren), but decided it would be totally affordable to make another one, with OP.

Did I understand that correctly?

Humusluvr

I just want to make sure I have this straight. Dad was depressed, didn't work for a year. Yet 8 months ago was lively enough to create another child with OP.

He didn't pay for his current child(ren), but decided it would be totally affordable to make another one, with OP.

Did I understand that correctly?
What a perfectly delightful summary! :cool::cool::cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">