• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

aesparza--My fiance just found out he's the father after 15 years...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSO286

Today 01:01 PM
aesparza My fiance just found out he's the father after 15 years...
Trying to make this short and to the point... Few months ago my fiance was served with paperwork telling him he had to come in for a paternity determination in Illinois... We are in Georgia now... He was able to get a continuance because we can't afford to just up and fly places for what has become a nightmare... He had a DNA test done and now knows he is the father... He was unaware of the child's existence until he was served papers... Meanwhile, from what we can gather, the mother has been on welfare of some type and apparently went in to reapply and the state said "give us the name of the father or we're coming after you for repayment"... (I'm paraphrasing here) Now, we're scrambling to figure out what to do... He just got the results yesterday that he is, in fact, the father... Can we get a lawyer here to help him in Illinois or can we file something to get the support to the state minimum? Our oldest son is disabled and I take care of him and I'm on the verge of disability too but have not gone to file and am trying to get better to find a job... My fiance is the soul provider and we can't even save up 10% of his check for savings let alone whatever Illinois is going to take... Trying my best not to let this spiral out of control but that's exactly what it feels like.....

Today 01:05 PM
Blue Meanie Quote:
Originally Posted by aesparza
Trying to make this short and to the point... Few months ago my fiance was served with paperwork telling him he had to come in for a paternity determination in Illinois... We are in Georgia now... He was able to get a continuance because we can't afford to just up and fly places for what has become a nightmare... He had a DNA test done and now knows he is the father... He was unaware of the child's existence until he was served papers... Meanwhile, from what we can gather, the mother has been on welfare of some type and apparently went in to reapply and the state said "give us the name of the father or we're coming after you for repayment"... (I'm paraphrasing here) Now, we're scrambling to figure out what to do... He just got the results yesterday that he is, in fact, the father... Can we get a lawyer here to help him in Illinois or can we file something to get the support to the state minimum? Our oldest son is disabled and I take care of him and I'm on the verge of disability too but have not gone to file and am trying to get better to find a job... My fiance is the soul provider and we can't even save up 10% of his check for savings let alone whatever Illinois is going to take... Trying my best not to let this spiral out of control but that's exactly what it feels like.....
Please have the father sign up under his own user name and his own thread, as this is HIS legal issue.

Thanks!!

Today 01:06 PM
Antigone*of*Greece Quote:
It would be prudent for HIM to get an attorney to help him with this matter.

Today 01:09 PM
Silverplum

He can get an attorney in IL. Or he can let the state do its job. Either way.

Quote:
or can we file something to get the support to the state minimum?
At a minimum, the amount assigned is always the state minimum.

Quote:

Our oldest son is disabled and I take care of him and I'm on the verge of disability too but have not gone to file and am trying to get better to find a job... My fiance is the soul provider and we can't even save up 10% of his check for savings let alone whatever Illinois is going to take... Trying my best not to let this spiral out of control but that's exactly what it feels like.....
It's not your issue. It's not your child, it's not your court order (to be), it's just nothing legally to do with you.

If you are displeased with your fiance's ability to support you and your children, then you need to find a way to bring in more money. Or a different guy, I s'pose.

And my response:

https://extranet.acf.hhs.gov/irgps/stateProfile.do#9

Support may be established back to the date of birth in a parentage or back to date of separation in an abandonment case. In a parentage action brought within 2 years after a child's birth, the judgment or order may direct either parent to pay the reasonable expenses incurred by either parent related to the mother's pregnancy and the delivery of the child. (750 ILCS 5/505;)750 ILCS 45/14,(Illinois Parentage Act of 1984)Public Aid Code 10-10,11,11.1)
He had sex with this woman.

LittleCSO knows (now) that sex makes babies. (THAT was fun!!!:cool:)

He knew the possibility of a baby existed there. HE has just as much an obligation to follow up as MOM does in informing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">