• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Afraid father could disown child...never married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

packer01fan

I am currently living in Colorado and I'm in the Air Force. I am pregnant and due in February. I was engaged but the baby's father, who is in the Army, has been stationed in Maryland since the beginning of August. Then he broke up with me and after just a couple weeks he is engaged AGAIN (fourth time I should have known better) to be married NEXT week. (I found this out today by the way) I'm adamant that I will get child support from him and even he had said he would pay child support. I was talking to a friend about this and he said that he heard that my ex may be able to disown our child to get out of paying child support. I am curious if this is possible. I am getting out of the military next August and I think that he should be held responsible. He wants to be in the child's life but I'm sure as you can tell he's really wishy-washy.

Also, what will I need to do to establish child support. I will be a first time mother (awesome choice in a man huh?)

Thank you for your help.

Nicole

Proserpina

I am currently living in Colorado and I'm in the Air Force. I am pregnant and due in February. I was engaged but the baby's father, who is in the Army, has been stationed in Maryland since the beginning of August. Then he broke up with me and after just a couple weeks he is engaged AGAIN (fourth time I should have known better) to be married NEXT week. (I found this out today by the way) I'm adamant that I will get child support from him and even he had said he would pay child support. I was talking to a friend about this and he said that he heard that my ex may be able to disown our child to get out of paying child support. I am curious if this is possible. I am getting out of the military next August and I think that he should be held responsible. He wants to be in the child's life but I'm sure as you can tell he's really wishy-washy.

Also, what will I need to do to establish child support. I will be a first time mother (awesome choice in a man huh?)

Thank you for your help.

Nicole
He's blowing smoke. File for child support when the baby is born (assuming Dad isn't deployed at the time - if he is you'll have to wait until he's back).

He can't simply decide to relinquish his rights like that. He's free to never pursue visitation, but he's going to be financially responsible for his child.

Isis1

paternity will need to be established. file for child support.
Thank you for your help.

Nicole
i'm going to take a wild guess and assume your friend does not work in the legal field in any way shape or form. don't take legal advice from him. you will drive yourself crazy.

"dad" can decide not be in this child's life and will STILL be ordered to pay support.

paternity will need to be established. file for child support. "dad" being in the military....i can only imagine what his CO would say to him if he was shirking his financial obligations. if i remember correctly, they frown very highly about that.

packer01fan

Thank you

No my friend was telling me what he thought, but I didn't think it was possible either. I know the military does not look highly on people who shirk on their financial responsibility. I was just curious if my friend had any merit in saying it.

Thank you for your help.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">