• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

82nd Airborne

North Carolina : I was just awarded primary custody of my two kids. How did child support work in this situation? Will I have to file and if so, how long will it take

ecmst12

If it wasn't addressed in the order, then yes you have to file for it (either modify existing or new order).

LdiJ

North Carolina : I was just awarded primary custody of my two kids. How did child support work in this situation? Will I have to file and if so, how long will it take
Why wasn't child support addressed as part of the custody case? If it wasn't addressed, then you have a two step process. You are first going to have to get child support stopped to the other parent, and then you are going to have to file for child support yourself.

Based on your screen name I am assuming that you are military, and if you have been paying support, then you have some hoops to jump through to get that automatic payment stopped. If I am correct, that needs to be your first priority.

LdiJ

That's a lot of assumptions you're making there.
I realize that...but its information the OP needs if any of the assumptions are correct. Better the OP gets the info now, then after another couple of months of support are withheld from his/her pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">