• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of Majority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madsmom

What is the name of your state? GA
We found out yesterday that step-daughter got married 1 day after turning 18 (on December 27, 2004). She kept this news from both her mom and dad and continued to live with her mom (with new "husband" visiting during the day while mom was at work). She also dropped out of school last Thursday, four months before graduating. She had already been accepted by 2 very good colleges. As soon as mom found out about the marriage (yesterday), she packed her up and sent her off to live with her 20 year old unemployed husband (and his parents).
Child support is paid up to date but we are certain that we don't need to pay any more. I have a call into our lawyer now and my husband is driving up to the county she married in to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate. He took the day off to go get this and I am wondering while I wait for the lawyer's call back, is there anything else he needs to do?

We do recognize that she has made a major mistake here but she is going to have to live with it until she works it out. She wanted her independence and nothing was going to stop her. Now she is going to have to face consequences of her actions. (at least she is not pregnant)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">