• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of majority-Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksyglowski

What is the name of your state?Maryland
My daughter is 15 and is determining which career to choose for college.
We just found out her father has no intention of contributing after years of promises of "special accounts" set aside for her. He has also declined medical bill contribution in the past, when she needed her kidney implanted.( He has a new family now)
I have only modified support once, only because he tried to get full custody the week of her surgery and I had to get an attorney, the small increase was determined by the judge ( he lied about his income) I can not afford an attorney but feel I need to modify her support since I have to pay for college myself.
I read that I could represent myself for a filing fee of $20.00 ( pg. 11 of the MD Law on Line guide) How do I go about this?
I would like to get assistance from her father for college. ( Kramer vs. Kramer)
He is currently in the process of purchasing another home in Boca Raton, Fl worth over $500,000.I can not afford an attorney...

yugla

Yes you can represent your self, you file an appearance ticket. Not sure of the fee if any in Maryland. CS support follows a set of guide lines adopted by each state, that also conform to federal mandates if that stae is a receiver of certain fed assistance.

Get a CS guide line, probably available on line for your state, fill in the numbers and see what it determines. File a motion to modify, fee of which can be waived if you are indigent, meet with family relations and see if they help at all, go before the judge and make your point.

Keep in mind
What were the terms the original separation agreement?
Did it include medical?
Did it include education?
Did it include child support?
You must show a change in incomes to modify
You are the proper gender to receive support

good luck

VeronicaGia

Age of majority in MD is 18, unless there is a court order directing this:

A person who had reached the age of eighteen and is enrolled in secondary school has the right to support from both parents until the age of nineteen or is no longer enrolled, whichever is the first to occur. For court orders established before October 1, 2002, the order must be modified to provide for the continued support. The court may order support or a disabled adult child, or if the parties involved agree to support the child through 4 years of college or higher education.

Why do you have to pay for it all? The child will no longer be a child, he or she will be and adult and should foot some of the bill by working, applying for loans and grants, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">