• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brendasperk

What is the name of your state?PA

Here's a good one....My ex-husband and have been divorced since 1997. In the decree, visitation of our son was on an "as agreed upon" basis. Within the past year or so, things started not going well between my son and his father. My son no longer wanted to see his father. His father has always been trying to reduce his child support, but when he wasn't seeing his son, the court hearings became more frequent. Then my ex began demanding that I let him see his son, and he would not believe me or our son when we told him that it was by our son's choice. My ex began threatening to take us to court for visitation. I did not want to put our son through that (he has some emotional problems that are magnified when there is grief with his father). I basically wanted to put an end to the war, so I proposed that he can stop paying child support if he would stop with the threats of court hearings, etc. I only required that he make monthly payments (of his choice) until the arrearage amount is paid off. He requested that I permit that his income tax return no longer be attached for the arrearages. I put all of this in writting, we both signed and had it notorized. Little did I know that state law requires income tax attachment if there is an arrearage amount. His income tax has just been attached and he is now demanding that I give him back that money. He said that Domestics will add the amount back on to his arrearage amount if he faxes a letter stating that he received it. My problem is that I do not want to hand him this money when he doesn't deserve to have it. He has caused nothing but pain to my son, and to give him the satisfaction of winning again just kills me. Am I legally obligated to give him back his income tax return when our signed agreement states that I do not require the IRS intercept of his return? If I let my son keep the money, would my ex have any legal recourse?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So.... he's in contempt for not paying as the court ordered, and you're in contempt for not permitting visitation. Oooookay.

brendasperk

No, not quite....the original agreement was modified between us with the notarized agreement. I faxed Domestics a letter stating that I did not require child support payments any longer, only $50.00/month until the arrearage amount was paid in full. There was never an agreement in the first place for visitation, and it was not I who did not allow but our son who did not want to see his father. My questions is regarding the IRS intercept. Since it cannot be stopped by state law, but was in the agreement between my ex and I that it should be stopped, am I required to hand the money over to him since his income tax return was intercepted. I know this is confusing and I'm trying to explain the best I can.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
brendasperk said:
There was never an agreement in the first place for visitation, and it was not I who did not allow but our son who did not want to see his father.
Yet in your first post, you say "visitation of our son was on an "as agreed upon" basis." So there is SOMETHING in your order. And vague as that language is, it does not mean the kid gets to decide if he goes or not. Expect that, if your ex takes you to court over it - the judge WILL be peeved with you.

Simply sending a letter (even a notarized one) may not trump the court order for support.

As for the IRS refund - it's more a moral question than anything else. You made an agreement with your ex. Now you're essentially backing out of it. If I were in your shoes, I'd be expecting to be served with legal papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">