• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

agreement to forgive arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enobles1

What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex has agreed to forgive the arrears of child support because I have been without an income for a year. Can anyone guide me through what procedures I need to follow to get the court's approval? Or, if you know if the court/attorney general for Texas will even accept the aggreement.
I would like to get this done quickly while the door is open.

Help please, :confused:

Ambr

Was the mother ever on state assistance?

Just asking, because if the mother (because of pregnancy) / child has been on state assistance part of the child support payment will have to go to the state for "re-payment" of the support the mother / child received.

That would be important because if you owe the state as well, the mother can't "forgive" all of the arrearage.

Tinaa

I forgave about half my ex's arrearages. It was a simple procedure. We met with the Texas OAG and signed a few papers. The OAG didn't seem too thrilled, but they printed up the paper work, I signed it. The OAG attorney signed it and then the judge signed. Poof - several thousand dollars of arrears gone.

S

seniorjudge

enobles1 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex has agreed to forgive the arrears of child support because I have been without an income for a year. Can anyone guide me through what procedures I need to follow to get the court's approval? Or, if you know if the court/attorney general for Texas will even accept the aggreement.
I would like to get this done quickly while the door is open.

Help please, :confused:
Child support arrearages cannot generally be waived by a parent since the right of child support belongs to the child and not the parent. Check with your attorney for Texas help.

enobles1

Great advise and info

Thank you so much seniorjudge, Tinaa, and Ambr :)
I will post the results of this process just in case anyone else has this opportunity.

Thanks again,

Tinaa

I hate to disagree senorjudge, but the child support does not belong to the child! It belongs to the parent raising the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">