• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

agreement vs child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matteberly25

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Me and My Ex Girlfriend have a beautiful little girl together and we have to go to court for child support (she didnt do it, neither did i) because we just help eachother out when we need it.. But if we make a parent agreement with everythign int it and saying that we will help eachother out with money when we need it and no child support should be ordered would this work???

I am assuming that the reason CSEA is involved is because you established paternity through them?

I am in Ohio and there is a possible (not definite) way to come to an agreement. You would have to go to Juvenile Court (in Ohio, this is the court it goes through) and file and hear your case in front of a judge to sign off on. That costs money. It's an option. (and before anyone discredits that -- esp if you don't live in Ohio -- I KNOW -- I called CSEA myself to find out and that is what they told me!!!). But it's not definite. I think that might be the only way to sidestep CSEA -- unless she is getting some sort of assistance for the child. A simple agreement signed on paper between the two of you would mean nothing.

But since all of you seem to be happy, I wouldn't be too afraid of the CS proceedings. Especially if both of you are pretty much splitting responsibilities (custody/visitation, etc). That is a factor. Do a Google search and look at the equation Ohio uses. Plug in the numbers.

Now in Ohio, there is that Amendment to the State's constitution (that was passed by voters in Nov "Issue One") which states:
"Only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this state and its political subdivisions. This state and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance or effect of marriage.
A guy I had a child with (we were never married or even bf/gf) is now challenging certain aspects of Child Support in this state that does have laws on the books that does pertain to effects of marriage, etc (i.e. "if parents were both married"), where those specific factors play into an amount of support being paid.

matteberly25

sorry i didnt meant o say EX girlfriend because we are still together and plan to get married and raise our daughter together.. BUt were only 17, and her parents wont let use get married so we have to wait till were 18. so im a minor. and my mother has 6 kids whom 2 of the dads of some of the kids dont pay child support beause they refuse. so she never has money because she has to take care of them. and my dad lives in delaware.. so who would pay child support?? do they make minors? because i help my girlfriend out all the time and im always over there and i always buy everything my little girl needs

sorry i didnt meant o say EX girlfriend because we are still together and plan to get married and raise our daughter together.. BUt were only 17, and her parents wont let use get married so we have to wait till were 18. so im a minor. and my mother has 6 kids whom 2 of the dads of some of the kids dont pay child support beause they refuse. so she never has money because she has to take care of them. and my dad lives in delaware.. so who would pay child support?? do they make minors? because i help my girlfriend out all the time and im always over there and i always buy everything my little girl needs
Those guys aren't paying support because your mom has not filed for child support. They can refuse all they want. Unless there's a court order, they are not under any legal obligation to pay. Unless your mom doesn't want your dad part of your life for whatever reason (or for fear of custody/visitation battles), I don't understand why she hasn't filed for support. But at your age, it's not worth it for your mom to file. It's too late. If you have bros/sis's younger than you, then it might be worth it for your mom to file for support. But paternity would have to be established first.

As far as you and your ex...I am not sure how the minor thing works. How is child support (CSEA) involved at this point? I would think you'd at least be responsible for the minimum amount. If you two DO wind up getting married, then of course, neither of you will be paying child support.

matteberly25

NO its not my dad that has to pay child support he helps my mom out. cuz she has 3 kids with her (ones older than 18 and me and my little brother) but the other 2 dads. for my little sisters, ones in prison cuz he wont pay and one quit his job so he only pays 50$ A MONTH

matteberly25

so my mom couldnt pay if they make my parents pay, and i dotn know if they would make my dad pay when hes in delaware. but i dont want my parents paying anyways. its my daughter not theirs. but its so hard to find a job in ohio and when im only 16, ive tryed seriosuly over like 100 places.. so im not sure how i would get the money to pay it.. But my dad sends me money all tyhe time to buy stugff for my daughter (he helps me out since i cant find a job). And both me and my girlfriend got a letter in the mail about child support and my girlfriends mom tryed calling them tellin them there both minors and she dont want me to have to pay this, and they said they would make my parents

LdiJ

matteberly25 said:
so my mom couldnt pay if they make my parents pay, and i dotn know if they would make my dad pay when hes in delaware. but i dont want my parents paying anyways. its my daughter not theirs. but its so hard to find a job in ohio and when im only 16, ive tryed seriosuly over like 100 places.. so im not sure how i would get the money to pay it.. But my dad sends me money all tyhe time to buy stugff for my daughter (he helps me out since i cant find a job). And both me and my girlfriend got a letter in the mail about child support and my girlfriends mom tryed calling them tellin them there both minors and she dont want me to have to pay this, and they said they would make my parents
It sounds to me like state aid of some sort is being provided to your child (food stamps, medicaid etc.) and its the state that is pushing for child support. If so, there is nothing that can be done. A child support order WILL be made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">