• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

allowed children to quit school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?ar

I pay child support the order states until children are 18 or shold have graduated from high school. The problem is they have both been allowed to quit school. Do I still have to pay until 18? Do I have to pay after 18 if their graduation date would have been several months after if they had stayed in school. They did get their GED.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How old are the kids? Have they been emancipated? If not, then yes, you would still pay until 18. Since they got their GEDs, what are they doing with themselves? What are their future plans?

quit school

They aren't doing anything. I would like them to go to atleast a votech school anything but right now just doing nothing. Thats what I am really upset about.

VeronicaGia

basslady13 said:
What is the name of your state?ar

I pay child support the order states until children are 18 or shold have graduated from high school. The problem is they have both been allowed to quit school. Do I still have to pay until 18? Do I have to pay after 18 if their graduation date would have been several months after if they had stayed in school. They did get their GED.
You can file to have support terminated, but my guess is the other parent will put them back in school or the state will tell you to pay until they reach 18.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd likely petition anyway to have support ended, since they both have GEDs. Age of majority in AR is 21, tho, which may be a stumbling block.

kat1963

stealth2 said:
I'd likely petition anyway to have support ended, since they both have GEDs. Age of majority in AR is 21, tho, which may be a stumbling block.
Eggnog?

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/NXT/gateway.dll/ARCode/title08527.htm/subtitle08568.htm/chapter08793.htm/subchapter08805/section08842.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0#JD_9-14-237

9-14-237. Expiration of child support obligation.

(a)(1) Unless a court order for child support specifically extends child support after these circumstances, an obligor's duty to pay child support for a child shall automatically terminate by operation of law:
(A) When the child reaches eighteen (18) years of age or should have graduated from high school, whichever is later;

(B) When the child:

(i) Is emancipated by a court of competent jurisdiction;

(ii) Marries; or

(iii) Dies; or

(C) Upon the marriage of the parents of the child to each other.

(2) Provided, however, that any unpaid child support obligations owed under a judgment or in arrearage pursuant to a child support order shall be satisfied pursuant to § 9-14-235.

Poster, you can file to adjust or terminate, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Terminating support at this point would be based on emancipation. Since they are still living at home, that's not considered being emancipated. The custodial parent will still have the same financial obligation (till 18) so they aren't likely to let you off that easy. You can always try asking for an adjustment since they are no longer in school they should be able to contribute financially to the family home. Perhaps this will push the custodial parent into seeing that they obtain some sort of higher education or training at least.

KAT

rmet4nzkx

basslady13 said:
one is 18 other will be 17 in Feb. and no have not been
Certainally file to terminate child support, the one who is 18 and GED should already have been terminated from child support at their 18th birthday or GED the 17 yo will qualify in 2 months, otherwise file with the court to emancipate them. Are they working at all?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
kat1963 said:
Eggnog?

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/NXT/gateway.dll/ARCode/title08527.htm/subtitle08568.htm/chapter08793.htm/subchapter08805/section08842.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0#JD_9-14-237
I'd have to go back and find the site I was looking at. I started with posting that she'd be good to end the 18yo's CS order, but would likely find she didn't get to court until the eldest turns 18 - and then came across a site that stated age of majority in AR as 21. That's what I get for not bookmarking!

rmet4nzkx

Arkansas

Termination of support at 18 or when child graduates from high school

No statute or case law holding parents to a duty to college support in the absence of an agreement.
Once child reaches majority, the legal duty of the parents to provide support ends. Towery v. Towery, 285 Ark. 113, 685 S.W.2d 155 (1985).

school

question. The child support automatically stops at the age or do I have to go to court to get it stopped. I have it taken out of my check so I am never late.
I thank you for all your answers I just want my kids to try to do something. They do not work Just sit on but watching tv. I may try to file just to make them go to school doing something.

VeronicaGia

basslady13 said:
question. The child support automatically stops at the age or do I have to go to court to get it stopped. I have it taken out of my check so I am never late.
I thank you for all your answers I just want my kids to try to do something. They do not work Just sit on but watching tv. I may try to file just to make them go to school doing something.
The problem is this: unless your court order states a specific amount for each child, you can file to have support for the 18 year old terminated, but then the younger child becomes the oldest child of the order. So CS may not go down too much.

Go to www.supportguidelines.com to get an idea of what support will be with only one child.

LdiJ

basslady13 said:
Since its taken out of your check, then yes, you really do need to file to have to terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">