• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alternate income - Connecticut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcdunham

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

My Ex's income (as stated on a W2) or 1099 is really low (in comparison to mine); and the child support ratio reflects this; however, he is still managing to live in a very expensive house (much nicer than something I could afford). In order to accomplish this I'm sure he is doing a number of things - working under the table, room mate (at least part of the time), and mommy (helping out I'm sure). Is there any stipulation in CT child support laws that indicate he should be paying a certain amount (regardless of income), if his living arrangements far exceed what his income shows?

Also - Is there a way I can get his tax return information (income reported) without having to actually ask him? I dont want him know that I am thinking of taking him back to court until I have all the facts on what my options are (if I can avoid it).

FYI..He's also due to inherite quite a bit of money - (which you help answer earlier), but that is actually a seperate issue from this; however, it complicates things more, because now he can choose to work even less.

NotSoNew

pcdunham said:
Is there any stipulation in CT child support laws that indicate he should be paying a certain amount (regardless of income), if his living arrangements far exceed what his income shows?

No. I only wish this were the case, since my husbands ex doesnt work at all but somehow can still afford her apartment and car. If you have proof that he is working "under the table" and not claiming taxes on it you could report him to the IRS. thats about it. he is allowed to have roomates or his mother help him.

Also - Is there a way I can get his tax return information (income reported) without having to actually ask him? I dont want him know that I am thinking of taking him back to court until I have all the facts on what my options are (if I can avoid it).

No. If you take him back to court you can request his tax returns, but otherwise you cannot obtain them.

pcdunham

so it's another example of rewarding those who do nothing? It drives me insane...On a side note, I think the courts should institute a fee for every ball game, etc that a deadbeat parent misses (for no reason)- I'd be rich.

fairisfair

pcdunham said:
so it's another example of rewarding those who do nothing? It drives me insane...On a side note, I think the courts should institute a fee for every ball game, etc that a deadbeat parent misses (for no reason)- I'd be rich.
heck, I would be rich if they just counted missed birthdays and christmas.

nextwife

pcdunham said:
My Ex's income (as stated on a W2) or 1099 is really low (in comparison to mine); and the child support ratio reflects this; however, he is still managing to live in a very expensive house (much nicer than something I could afford). In order to accomplish this I'm sure he is doing a number of things - working under the table, room mate (at least part of the time), and mommy (helping out I'm sure).

If one has low housing costs, such as having a good deal of homequity and a proportionately small payment, one need NOT be working under the table to afford living in an expensive home in an expensive neighborhood. Example: I live in a home that is worth about $350,000, on a block in which some homes are over a million, but I pay a very small monthly mortgage, because I have a lot of equity. One need not be shady to live in an expensive home on a modest income, if one already had a large downpayment into their home, or owned it free & clear. I have several neighbors with NO income other than pension and or SS, and they live in expensive homes, without "working under the table".

Last edited:

pcdunham

True - but it is not in this case -- and I realize its OK to live in a nice house as long as you meet your obligations. But when someone chooses to live in an expensive house and buy new expensive stuff - but then doesnt pay child support on time and doesnt pay for extra activities (which is clearly stated that he should) in the divorce -- that's just wrong. What ever happen to the priority of "the child comes first"

ceara19

pcdunham said:
True - but it is not in this case -- and I realize its OK to live in a nice house as long as you meet your obligations. But when someone chooses to live in an expensive house and buy new expensive stuff - but then doesnt pay child support on time and doesnt pay for extra activities (which is clearly stated that he should) in the divorce -- that's just wrong. What ever happen to the priority of "the child comes first"
If his mommy is the one buying all of the "nice things" that dad has, there's not much you can do about it. His mom can do as much as she wants for her child. Dad's standard of living is not the most reliable indicator of his earnings. Like nextwife explained, it's not unusual for it to appear that you are living well above your means. I bought a HUGE house that is absolutely gorgeous when you look at it from the outside, but since the inside was basically gutted, I got it for next to nothing and I am fixing it up myself room by room.

If he is in arrears on the child support, you can look into having a lien placed on any property he owns and any bank accounts that are in his name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">