• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I always the Petitioner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ray246

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I understand that the Petitioner is the person that files a motion with the court and the other paty is the Respondant. My ex is filing a motion to modify child support following a judgement she didnt like on a motion I had submitted to the court. I was the Petitioner on the original divorce decree and the last motion to modify but I assume she should have indicated herself as the Petitioner in the motion to modify child support in her new motion?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I understand that the Petitioner is the person that files a motion with the court and the other paty is the Respondant. My ex is filing a motion to modify child support following a judgement she didnt like on a motion I had submitted to the court. I was the Petitioner on the original divorce decree and the last motion to modify but I assume she should have indicated herself as the Petitioner in the motion to modify child support in her new motion?
Then you remain the petitioner in all subsequent filings and she is the defendant in all subsequent filing regardless of who is filing what motion.

BL

I have filed such modification petition , not in MO.

The use of the docket # as well as original petitioner and defendant are used here.

Ray246

Thank you for the clarification. It seems confusion since I am no longer the one that is petitioning for anything but it sounds like the ex filled it out correctly.

Ray246

Wow...really guys. Yes I deleted my first post here because after looking at the heading of the post and the detail within it would have been easy for my ex to have figured out it was me should she be researching things herself. This post was a different topic completely and I made sure not to include to much detail where I wouldnt feel comfortable leaving it out here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow...really guys. Yes I deleted my first post here because after looking at the heading of the post and the detail within it would have been easy for my ex to have figured out it was me should she be researching things herself. This post was a different topic completely and I made sure not to include to much detail where I wouldnt feel comfortable leaving it out here.
Overall, we volunteers don't like thread deleters. Why should we waste our time helping people who are just going to delete information that could be useful to others. If you don't want to have detail out there, DO NOT POST. Nothing on the internet is private.

Ray246

Overall, we volunteers don't like thread deleters. Why should we waste our time helping people who are just going to delete information that could be useful to others. If you don't want to have detail out there, DO NOT POST. Nothing on the internet is private.
I can understand not wanting to see threads deleted and I understand that nothing on the internet is private. Because it is not private and I had entered to much detail about my situation to where I felt I could easily have been identified by my ex I felt that was my only course of action for that thread. Irritating some people in here doesnt concern me near as much as the possibility of compromising my case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I can understand not wanting to see threads deleted and I understand that nothing on the internet is private. Because it is not private and I had entered to much detail about my situation to where I felt I could easily have been identified by my ex I felt that was my only course of action for that thread. Irritating some people in here doesnt concern me near as much as the possibility of compromising my case.
Then actually receiving answers shouldn't concern you, either. Good luck to you.

Ray246

So if you had a client post something in a forum that they later became concerned with being seen by their ex you would advise them to leave it there so it wouldn't upset other posters?

tranquility

So if you had a client post something in a forum that they later became concerned with being seen by their ex you would advise them to leave it there so it wouldn't upset other posters?
I think we can all understand the error and, while we don't like losing effort, don't criticize too much for the deletion. I believe the comments were to make sure such an error does not happen again. So, one of the informal rules or list etiquette would be to not do that. Alone, while many would be hesitant to put much effort out in the future, I don't think it would prevent getting a quality answer from someone. But, alone isn't really the case any longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">