• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to having child support lowered?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richchiarito

New York State. My question is can I have my child support reduced if my salary is lower since the time of my divorce? I was making 85000.00 at the time of my divorce which was signed and finalized by the judge June 2010. Now I am making 70000.00. How do I go about getting this reduced? Thank you.

mistoffolees

New York State. My question is can I have my child support reduced if my salary is lower since the time of my divorce? I was making 85000.00 at the time of my divorce which was signed and finalized by the judge June 2010. Now I am making 70000.00. How do I go about getting this reduced? Thank you.
Depends. What was the reason for the reduction? If you voluntarily took a lower paying job or reduced your hours, you probably won't get CS reduced. OTOH, if it was involuntary, you could file for a modification.

richchiarito

My yearly salary just dropped due to the economy and lack of overtime. I work for a bread company and my salary is based on commission. So the past year my salary went from 85000 to 70000.

mistoffolees

My yearly salary just dropped due to the economy and lack of overtime. I work for a bread company and my salary is based on commission. So the past year my salary went from 85000 to 70000.
As I said, if it's involuntary, you can ask for a reduction.

However, your post doesn't make sense. You're salary is based on commission, but lack of overtime impacted your salary? How does that work?

richchiarito

I get paid a weekly salary at minimum wage 40 hours. Then I get 9 percent commission on what we sell. Overtime is an extra day's pay.

BL

I get paid a weekly salary at minimum wage 40 hours. Then I get 9 percent commission on what we sell. Overtime is an extra day's pay.
You won't know until you petition , make out your financial statement , prove your income .

You do not need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">