• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to life insurance benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

molly1980

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

Hello. I have a 13 year old son who's father recently passed away in the state of Oklahoma, where he was living at the time. Our son was born in WV and this is where we still reside. His father wasn't good at paying his child support during his lifetime and he owes approximately 70K in arrears. He was in the US Army and fought and was injured in the Iraq war. My question is, would he have had a life insurance policy through the army and, if so, would I be legally entitled to some of it to pay his arrears? How would I find out this information and how would I pursue it? Thank you very much for any advice!

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

Hello. I have a 13 year old son who's father recently passed away in the state of Oklahoma, where he was living at the time. Our son was born in WV and this is where we still reside. His father wasn't good at paying his child support during his lifetime and he owes approximately 70K in arrears. He was in the US Army and fought and was injured in the Iraq war. My question is, would he have had a life insurance policy through the army and, if so, would I be legally entitled to some of it to pay his arrears? How would I find out this information and how would I pursue it? Thank you very much for any advice!
MoB is correct, however, you may want to contact the military and find out what type of dependant's benefits are available for the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">